• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cattleman's Carbine Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreserveFreedom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
UPS dropped off my Cattleman's Carbine today. I posted a pic in the photo section HERE. The load data that Uberti provided was for the normal revolvers that they sell. I was wondering if I could go hotter with the carbine to make use of that longer barrel. I have to say this is the most balanced rifle I have ever handled. I really love this thing. :) Does anyone have experience with one of these? If so, what do you recommend for a max load?

Your load is limited by the capacity of the chambers.

If the cylinder is the same length as the pistols then the pistol charges are what you will have to live with. If the cylinder is longer you can load it up a bit.

If the load size is limited because of the chamber depth the only other way of getting an increase in velocity is to shoot 777 powder which is about 15 percent more powerful per cubic inch.

Well I compared the length of the cylinder to that of a .44 cal revolver. They are the same. I will probably stick with the manufacturer's recommended max load of 30 grains in this case. I mean if I need to hit any harder I could pull out a single shot with double or triple that in there. The gun rack in my pickup truck has three spots afterall. :D

It is my understanding that Swiss Black Powder yields about 10% higher pressure than Goex.

Greater pressure ='s higher muzzle velocity.

Conclusion: Try Swiss... a "real" black powder which should ignite easier than any BP substitute.

Jus' my 2¢... :v

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Back