• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying a loaded flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon4

36 Cal.
Reaction score
:hmm: What's the safe way to carry a single shot flintock pistol in the woods? I've been carrying it loaded, pan quarter filled, on half cock. Shoved in my belt. After drawing,and fully forward, I full cock the weapon and let'er rip.
Any other way better? Don't have any type of holster for it.

I'm not a flint shooter but I have seen a couple of things that might be useful to you. Dixie sells a holster of sorts for single shot pistols. Its more like a big leather loop that can be put on a belt. The other thing is a leather cover for the frizzen to prevent accidental sparking. Hopes this helps.

Don

hook2.jpg

hook3.jpg

Well theres a holster and a belt hook method .. :hmm: :thumbsup:

Davy

You might want to think about a leather frizzen cover otherwise you might be telling us the story about loseing your foot

DAVY.
THAT'S A NICE LOOKING RIG AND A BEAUT OF PISTOL.
I THANK YA. :hatsoff:
DEACON

The holster shown above is quite similar to one marketed by Leatherman. Dixie has these as well as Track of the Wolf and others. I have one and it's fine if you're wearing a belt. My Great Plains pistol has the hook and it too works fine if you're wearing a belt. I'll use either when loafing around the woods wearing modern clothing.

When wearing period clothing I usually wear a sash and my flint pistol gets stuck in it. That works fine too!

Vic

justmike said:
You might want to think about a leather frizzen cover otherwise you might be telling us the story about loseing your foot
A 'hammer stall' as mentioned above is both a practical and PC "safety". With a loaded pistol stuck in your belt, you might loose something more important than your foot! :shocked2:

I have the holster that Davy is showing. Unless your gun has a very small, very smooth, front sight it's going to snag when you try to draw. I haven't found a gun yet that doesn't snag in mine unless I'm very careful on the draw. You can't just yank it. The belt clip sure looks tempting though. :)

Plink said:
I have the holster that Davy is showing. Unless your gun has a very small, very smooth, front sight it's going to snag when you try to draw. I haven't found a gun yet that doesn't snag in mine unless I'm very careful on the draw. You can't just yank it. The belt clip sure looks tempting though. :)

The "belt clip", was used quite often. Pistols were carried, often, on the belt, sash, &/OR any "cross belting" (carrying more than one pistol was common.NWC"HBC Factors, Clerks, Traders, Explorers, Etc, often carried a "Brace" of pistols in the field. ( David Thompson (NWC Explorer, Fur Trader 1800-1812 in the NW.), reg. carred a Brace of Mortimer pistols ( 18" Bbl.s .65 cal )

Holsters -- The half holster will work, But IMHO, it is not the best to use in the field..(it may carry the gun, but offers NO protection for the gun. I use FULL holsters (same as I use for my Modern pistols, BUT patterned on PC designs & fitted to each gun. I have both "open top & "flap top ( When max protection for the gun is needed (weather, heavy brush etc.)Are they PC ??? YES (example, the British Rocket Troops, both Royal Horse & Royal Marines,in the war of 1812, issued holsters to ALL men (pvts - up)

Puffer

Latest posts

Back