• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Care & cleaning question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HWH said:
I remember reading somewhere to avoid petroleum based products with blackpowder---to stick with animal or plant based greases and oils. Does anyone know if there is any chemistry to support this or do you think it is just part of shooting traditional?
Bill Knight investigated this and wrote that it was only certain classes/types/structures/whatever-the-term-is of petroleum-derived hydrocarbon molecules will react with the sulfur under the influence of the heat & pressure of firing to produce an asphalt-like product. Other types of petroleum hydrocarbon molecules do not react like this and are fine with BP. The problem is then knowing what types of molecules are in a particular product. Unfortunately, I no longer have the reference. Pletch, if you read this, is that information anywhere on those CDs Bill sent you?

Regards,
Joel

To my understanding, WD40 is made primarily of fish oil. And the manual for my Lyman GPR recommends it. :v

According the the WD40 MSDS it contains the following:

Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 45-50%
Petroleum Base Oil

Hmmm I must've got the wrong information. Thank you Sir. Seems to work well enough though.
:hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back