• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canteen repair question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elarges

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Good morning!
I have a tin (?) canteen that has a leaky seam and a pinhole or two here and there. I want to think that some brewer's pitch would work. Thoughts?
Thanks
Eric

Lead free solder, and use a solder iron, not a torch. If it was me, I'd use a regular acid flux and wash it well afterwards, but I believe there is a flux specified for such use.

I'd use pitch or beeswax and seal the inside of the canteen. I'd suggest beeswax since it will stick well to metal (no experience with pitch & metal).

:thumbsup: I have a french D style and waxxed it. Just melted it over the bar-b-que fire as I was getting ready to broil some meat. As the fire bruned down the coals it melted the wax to be used. Poured it in swished and emptied. Gave it time to cool then repeated. All done afore the coals were ready.

Back