• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

can't pay with a check, so goodbye to this board.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never use checks. Hell, ours have two addresses ago. I like the security of a card and when the bank calls to ask if I made a certain purchase.

I can understand some guys paranoia, but guys, we’re don’t live in the 1900s anymore. Don’t believe me, check into the security and follow that.

You can get a bluebird amex card at walmart and not have to pay to reload. As in walk in and pay in cash there.

This year, I switched to an IPhone and guess what, old person is infatuated with apple pay.

One final thought: my wife cuts off her nose to spite her face. It never works for her. Lighten up guys. Use some of these modern things.

And FYI:

If anybody makes a post about how they will only accept PayPal friends and family for an item, and somebody else screenshots that post and sends it to PayPal, they can freeze your account and hold all of your funds for violating the terms of service. There's stories of people who have had thousands of dollars tied up in PayPal with issues like that.

Checks are dead, and have been for quite some time. I'm in my thirties and have only written literally a single check in my life, and that was for a blank pledge, otherwise I would have used another payment method.

Checks are, by far, the most unsafe way to transfer money to somebody that you don't know personally. There are so many easy ways to scam people using checks now, it's really for everyone's safety that they're not used. I could pluck a check written to somebody else out of the mail, buy someone's identity online (including their bank accounts, for transferring the stolen money out of) for about $20, slightly modify the numbers, and drain your account before you even knew it happened.

That actually happened to somebody in my family. Somebody got a hold of Grandma's checkbook, bought a stolen identity, transferred a quarter of a million dollars out of it to the stolen identities bank account, and had it transferred into an untraceable cryptocurrency before she even got the fraud alert. That money's gone, and even the FBI says there's not much they can do about it.

I feel the complete opposite way. If somebody only accepts check, PayPal friends and family, or venmo, I won't buy. All three of those options have absolutely no recourse if you get scammed in any way, you can't even dispute a transaction.

I would rather pay a few percent extra and get buyer protection.
As mentioned earlier, I pay 99.99% of m y bills via my bank's website. The bank sends larger outfits eft's. If the payee does not have the capability of receiving eft the bank will generate a check, drawn on me, and mail it. The check will have my name and, if applicable, my account number with the payee. It will not, however, have any of my bank account numbers.

And FYI:

If anybody makes a post about how they will only accept PayPal friends and family for an item, and somebody else screenshots that post and sends it to PayPal, they can freeze your account and hold all of your funds for violating the terms of service. There's stories of people who have had thousands of dollars tied up in PayPal with issues like that.
I will not use Paypal and suchlike. If you can not take cash, my credit card, or my check? You can not sell me anything.

!tone-21410578.png

Couple of weeks ago I inquired about an item online and if it was still for sale from a business back east. They answered back and said yes. They asked if I had PayPal and if I did they gave me the total with shipping and said to send the payment PP Friends and Family to avoid PP fees. Yea right! Have a nice day. They sent me an email a week later asking if I was still interested. Didn't respond.

Last edited:
Got new checks when I moved to my present address 3 years ago. Recently my bank got sold to another, resulting in a change of routing and account numbers.
As I said, I got my 500 new checks 3 years ago. I use checks for my mortgage, car payment, and paying my house keeper (kinda disabled, and unable to do things like change my bed linens, clean floors, etc).
As I went to replace my checks, I observed that, in 3 years, I had used less than 50 checks!
When ordering, I noticed that there was space for "quantity". I ordered 100, instead of the previous 500. Lots cheaper.
Everything else is paid for with my debit card, generally. Modern times, modern methods. I DO pay premium for several forums, not because I have to, but because I can.

They asked if I had PayPal and if I did they gave me the total with shipping and said to send the payment PP Friends and Family to avoid PP fees.
Are they YOUR friends and Family? Asking for a friend.
Funny how folks GRIPE about Pay Pal and the way they screw people and the way they do business but, don't hesitate to use F & F to avoid the fees?? Can you say HYPOCRITE?? (crooks) reminds me of a few politicians I can think of. :(

Last edited:
Are they YOUR friends and Family? Asking for a friend.
Funny how folks GRIPE about Pay Pal and the way they screw people and the way they do business but, don't hesitate to use F & F to avoid the fees?? Can you say HYPOCTITE?? (crooks) reminds me of a few politicians I can think of. :(
What are you driving at. I think I was quite clear that this business was an unknown. This was a business that I had never done any business with before. Didn't know anything about them. Strangers asking for me to use PP F&F to pay for something is a bit strange and suspicious. I use PayPal a lot and would have no problem paying the fee but they didn't ask or offer an alternative. I think there was a good chance it was a scam. The phone number listed for them was a lawn service.

I agree personal checks are an unsafe and archaic form of payment. Furthermore, beyond all the protection benefits, cards pay me over a grand a year in rebates and such. In reality 4-6% is tacked on everything to cover CC fees so if you pay by check you lose.

I agree personal checks are an unsafe and archaic form of payment. Furthermore, beyond all the protection benefits, cards pay me over a grand a year in rebates and such. In reality 4-6% is tacked on everything to cover CC fees so if you pay by check you lose.
but if you pay by check, there's no 4-6% tacked on to cover the CC fees so you've lost nothing. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back