• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Candied Pumpkin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A few years ago I saw a recipe for candied pumpkin on a living history site, but now I cannot find it. Does anyone out there have this recipe? Thanks

Welcome to the forum Mainer, :applause:

From what I have found there is the cooked pumpkin recipes sometimes called Candied Pumpkin using cut up pumpkin and sugar ( brown or white ) which gets baked until soft and then bacon is added and it is cooked some more until soft and runny. But the one I think you might be refering to is making chunks of pumpkin into pieces of candy which might be like this one:

"...First make a simple syrup of 2/3 cup of granulated sugar for each cup of cold water. Add several cinnamon sticks and several slices of fresh ginger to taste. Bring this to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and simmer for about 15 minutes. Prepare fresh pumpkin by cleaning and pealing as usual then cutting into chunks about

Thanks for the welcome! I just found this site the other day and I can't stay away from it. But alas my wife is able to help me in this area...

That is the recipe I was looking for. Thanks. It's pumpkin time in Maine and they can be bought pretty cheap. I thought I'd try to make some for huntin' food and to give away as unusual Christmas gifts.

Thanks again for the reply and I'll be checking back as often as I'm allowed...

My wife makes what she calls "Watermelon Rind Pickles" that are similar to Liver 'eatin J's Candied Pumpkin recipie, swapping vinegar for the water. I can tell you they evaporate swiftly when she opens a jar (I think she uses cloves instead of ginger, though).

Ok Stumpy, now ya got me confused... :youcrazy: Watermelons are them big green things with drippy red stuff in em and pumpkins are kinda orange with nasty stringy goop inside... right? Are we makin' candied watermelon or pickeled pumpkin rinds ? :hmm:

Back