• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can i shoo this

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crow,
please go to and check the Colrain barrel website. It states they have made jug choked turkey barrels for sometime and also recommend against using a round ball in the jug choked barrel. They even have suggested loads with the information on their website.

Seems according to some, you should totally disregard what everyone else has told you and all the folks who have had great success with round ball from a properly jug choked barrel,,, not a back bored or constriction choked barrel,,,, a jug choked barrel 🙄

Simple answer: Newton's First Law of Motion.

Assuming the barrel is straight, the ball will be going straight with a hell of a lot of momentum in that straight line by the time it hits the mildly jugged section. It simply sails right on through to the other side and out the muzzle as it would through the air.

If the ball is supported by a patch, the effect of the choke is even less. A possible explanation for this is the choke isn't large enough for the patched ball to lose its seal, but regardless it works and works well.

Some might even postulate that the "plasma ring" or whatever they want to call it that keeps a bare ball centered in the bore rather than skipping its way down the bottom of the barrel would simply enlarge and constrict again, keeping the ball centered throughout its trip.
I would go with the 'plasma ring' similar to keeping a ball supported in the air above a blast of compressed air.

opinions by definition.

o·pin·ion
[əˈpiny(ə)n]

NOUN
  1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge:
    "I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance" · "that, in my opinion, is dead right"
  2. An informed opinion is an opinion that is based on evidence, knowledge, or experience.
    #1 is the most prevalent in any hobby.

3. people hate to have their opinion found faulty.
  4. therefore i have no opinion.:ghostly:

Back