• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

can i please see your cherry stocks finished with oven cleaner,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used heat nothing more it’s called temper blue or fire blue. The master Dave Person uses the technique and I read about it in one of his masterful write ups, and it was a traditional metal finish from what I’m lead to believe. Thanks I’m glad you like it!

QUOTE="Nor'Easter, post: 1978732, member: 52075"]
That is a pretty rifle. If you don't mind - what did you use to blue the lock?
[/QUOTE]

I used heat nothing more it’s called temper blue or fire blue. The master Dave Person uses the technique and I read about it in one of his masterful write ups, and it was a traditional metal finish from what I’m lead to believe. Thanks I’m glad you like it!

QUOTE="Nor'Easter, post: 1978732, member: 52075"]
That is a pretty rifle. If you don't mind - what did you use to blue the lock?
[/QUOTE]
I thought it was fire blue. I've used it on small parts, but not on anything larger like a complete lock plate or cock. I've heard of it being used on gun barrels but....? I think I'll try it on my next lock plate. Is the write up Dave has done on this forum?

Hi Roundball,
No, it is meant to be a French snaphaunce from the about 1600 converted to a type 1 English lock. Most of those early English locks were converted snaphaunces. The decorative designs are inspired by the early flintlock gun by one of the Lebourgeoy family in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY and the Pierre Lebourgeoy gun shown in Gusler and Lavins's book "Decorated Firearms". It has no relationship with any middle eastern guns.
PovqQYD.jpg

dave
Hi Dave. Really nice work on that snaphaunce! I am quite interested in late 1500 to early 1600 firearms. The French were documented to be trapping and trading in this area (St. John River watershed NB,Ca & Maine) as early as 1605, the Basque fishermen even earlier. I wanted to know if you knew of any references regarding the history of metal finishes used on firearms between 1500 to 1700, especially the French. Thanks, Nor'Easter

Last edited:
I put together this cherry wood rifle almost 40 years ago and I don't remember what type of finish that I used. This was my first build and I had never heard of using lye to stain the wood. I may have used a Minwax stain but I am not sure now. I do like the grain of cherry wood.View attachment 113464
That held up nicely!

Olskool, I just took this picture of a fowler I made over twenty years ago, it is cherry treated with Aqua-fortis and rubbed back with 0000 steel wool. I have made quite a few guns and lathe turned horn caps from cherry and treated all of them the same. I'm not saying its better than lye, or worse, depending on someones sense of aesthetics, Hah, Its just an alternative. Depending on the piece of wood it will turn it anywhere from charcoal black to bright cherry red in my experience. I like it because under that black is what you see in the picture and it gives you a measure of control in rubbing it back, so a gun with carving can be greatly highlighted. I hope this isn't a distraction, good luck in your search!!
View attachment 113516
Robby
You taught me something! I have a project in my shop that I need to put a finish on but wanted it to have a red cast. I was scratching my head on how to proceed. I am going to follow your directions!

Olskool, I just took this picture of a fowler I made over twenty years ago, it is cherry treated with Aqua-fortis and rubbed back with 0000 steel wool. I have made quite a few guns and lathe turned horn caps from cherry and treated all of them the same. I'm not saying its better than lye, or worse, depending on someones sense of aesthetics, Hah, Its just an alternative. Depending on the piece of wood it will turn it anywhere from charcoal black to bright cherry red in my experience. I like it because under that black is what you see in the picture and it gives you a measure of control in rubbing it back, so a gun with carving can be greatly highlighted. I hope this isn't a distraction, good luck in your search!!
View attachment 113516
Robby

I really like your stock. I am making three jewelry boxes from some nice cherry wood and intend to follow your directions for the finish. Thanks for showing me how!
New project? I didn't see that this was a old site? You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back