• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can anyone identify this...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpl.Parker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

Could someone help identify this sword? Loa = 27.5", blade 22.5" x 1" wide On top of back near guard "T" or "E" "RLLV" "L" or "I"

sword001aaawk1.jpg

Thanks
Kevin

Call me silly but that blade looks a bit like a civil war sword bayonet, with a different "crude" handel installed within the last ....say 60 yrs???

I dont know but that blade is ringing some memory alerts???

Rob.

Rob,

The shape is like one of the Enfield or French Bayonets. The only sword I could find shaped like it are French Briquettes, possibly manufactured at Tulle.

It looks modern made to me, with the grip obviously turned on a wood lathe and a blade from an old bayonet

The blade is shaped like a yatagan, a Turkish or Persian sword with a blade in the shape of a flattened out S. Several bayonets have been made in this shape for various rifles including, but not limited to Martini Henrys and Remington Rolling Blocks as well as numerous rifled muskets. If you search thru the on line antique dealers, you can probably figure out what type of gun the blade was made for.

You will never guess what I did. Getting a book down from the shelf the sword was on I knocked the sword off. It fell point first on my big toe. So I just got back from the hospital where I got a tetanus shot. I was their first sword puncture. lol

cheers
Kevin

I just saw your post over at the HT board and posted a response for you over there.

French blade I'd say, is there a date scribed on the top of the blade near the guard?
handle & guard are an later add.imo :hmm:

The only marks I can make out are, On top of back near guard "T" or "E" "RLLV" "L" or "I" Hard to see.

Cheers
Kevin

It appears to be a modern reworking of a French M1866 bayonet for the Chassepot breach-loading rifle but it may be as early as the M1842 for the muzzle-loading rifle (not musket, it was for the short rifle, the musket kept it's triangular blade). The blade's yatagahn shape is the giveaway, that shape of blade was very popular during the mid-19th Century, especially in France and those who copied everything French - like the U.S., it was used here as late as the 1880's when the sword bayonet finally faded away. The blade shape made it an efficient slashing device and it also kept the blade out of the while loading a muzzle-loader when it was fixed. You can find more information here under "France":

http://www.old-smithy.info/

Oh, and sorry about your foot, those things are HEAVY! Good thing you were wearing shoes! (You were wearing shoes, right?) :shocked2:

I wish I was wearing shoes! Atleast my toe saved the hardwood floors. I think you have nailed the sword/bayonet blade. It sure looks like the M1866 bayonet. Thanks for the link.

Cheers
Kevin

Back