• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabin project.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the issue is what goes between the timbers. You could do slats, boards, etc. or rammed earth. Around New Orleans they did a post and beam and hung mats of woven palm and then dabbed mud on the mats.
That French "piece on piece" I think it was sort of a post and beam and the spaces were filled with 4' long, squared timbers stacked on top of each other.
For a roof- split/rived shingles would look good. Need a froe.

About 8 years ago I built a log cabin out on my property back in the woods - a fun project and I still enjoy it. I built it 8'x16' (inside dimensions) and wish it was bigger. It's tight for more than a couple of people once you put a table in it. I'd build yours bigger and I'd do it on your property. That makes it so much easier to work on and enjoy. A quick walk and you're there. I did though, make a conscious decision to build mine out of sight of my house.

Here it is before all the chinking was completed.

cabin020.jpg
[/URL][/img]

EXCEPT in a case where you can get a LONG-TERM "camping" lease on the property, like on some private property, county/parish land, the State or National Forest Service land.
(SOME places you can get a 99 year lease & for CHEAP.)

A friend up near Caddo Lake in NETX has a 50 year renewable lease (from a large pulpwood & lumber company) on a beautiful half-acre "piece" of over 1,000 acres parcel of forested property. His "cabin space" is leased for the princely sum of 25.oo per year.
(Had he bought a similar piece of property for his camp, the school taxes alone would be MORE than his yearly property lease fee.)

Larry L___________'s biggest expenditure was buying/burying over 800 feet of plastic pipe to get water into his "campsite lease", so that he has running water.
(He rented a Ditch Witch to dig/cover the trench.)

yours, satx

The tax man uses satellite and aerial recon to find ya....and when he does you pay.......if it is in the flood plain...he'll make you tear it down.....

I have built my own cabin from scratch. It is 20x30 made of white pine logs that are 12 - 15 inch dia. I think you will find that 10x10 too small.

All of the walls, floor and ceiling I made out of the logs. The tables and cabinets as well.

fleener

Whole logs are very good at holding the heat or cool, depending on the time of year.

I just got done with converting my tool shed that is 8x8 to a bunk house, or as my son likes to call it "the love shack". 8x8 is enough room for a bunk bed and a chair. It is really tight.

10x10 might be big enough, just depends on what you plan on doing with it.

I wish my cabin was around 34 by 42 feet. Most people after it is built wish it was bigger.

it would not take much more effort or cost to make yours a little bigger.

good luck

fleener

Very nice cabin. 30x40 would be 1200 square feet, which makes a nice size home. It amazes me the size of house that folks feel they need these days for a family of four and then I look at the houses my parents and grandparents had where they raised a large family.

I'm actually pretty good at woodworking and have wanted to try traditional mortise and tenon framing for a long time. So for the frame I'm going with that.

The walls and roof are going to be what I have to figure out.

I think that you mean you're going to do a frame for the roof, eh? As a log cabin doesn't have an internal frame, with the load bearing being done by the walls themselves.

I know of a log cabin made many years ago, but the owner wasn't really in the woods...., so he had to conform to code and couldn't use actual cedar shingles, so he used something like these metal shingles, simulated cedar . He told me his roof was tin made to simulate shingles, but I couldn't find any tin roofs like that to suggest a link for you, sorry. The roof linked to is recycled aluminum.

One thing that a hardwood log cabin, or a pine cabin of large logs would give you, is possible protection from external hostiles? I mean a wattle and daub wall would be easier and perhaps quicker to construct, such as they would have experienced in England. However, wattle and daub won't stop a trade gun ball or a musket ball.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
However, wattle and daub won't stop a trade gun ball or a musket ball.

LD
I once thought a modern 12 gauge slug would penetrate an old lathe and horsehair plaster wall at point blank range....Boy was I wrong.... :shocked2:

Broke the plaster, bounced off the lathe, just missed my head took a chunk of plaster off the wall behind my head, and landed at my feet in front of me... :doh: :doh:

This is all a great amount of information will be added into my own planning. Where I am looking to purchase land in Wisconsin there are no covenants or restrictions on dwelling size; and cabins are perfectly legal provided they are 600 sq.ft. or larger. Mine will be dug into the ground or a hillside partially with stone and mortar walls and brick floor.

Back