• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullseye Shooting with Pietta Navys, some random observations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stan, I read your previous posts about antiquing the brassies with vinegar, and I tried it. I worked perfectly.
I've done at least 8 of them like that, and I love how all of them came out .

As the brass mustards up and gets darker, and the steel patinas up , they just get more of that "hard used in the field " look

I'm glad it worked out for you, it's an easy way to make them look really neat

Last edited:
I'm glad you're having fun with your revolvers.
I took my two favorite muzzleloading revolvers out this morning and went through a handful of bullets and half a can full of caps.
Shot up targets from 10 yards to 100 yards , it's a lot of fun. But I don't need to tell you that, you're having as much fun as the rest of us🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
Its silly to continuously repeat an urban myth without any written evidence that the revolvers were actually designed to shoot high instead of point of aim. I am blaming a really crappy sight system until proven otherwise. Show me an actual request by the defense dept that the revolvers come sighted to shoot high? Show me a written manuel of arms that says aim for the belt buckle to hit the chest. Heck even that could just be adaptation to a flawed sight system. I really want to see a request from the govt that the revolvers be set up to shoot high.

That's exactly what I want to see. A Manuel of arms stateing that the 1851 Navy is zeroed at 75 yards. BTW I use the exact same zero for 15 to 50 yards for all my black powder pistols.

That's exactly what I want to see. A Manuel of arms stateing that the 1851 Navy is zeroed at 75 yards. BTW I use the exact same zero for 15 to 50 yards for all my black powder pistols.

I would think it's pretty easy to decipher the regulation from the thousands of originals.

Mike

I spent some time with all 4 of my Pietta .36 Brassers today

I tried some 25 yard Bullseye type shooting with my de-levered pair of .36's.

This is my first time using a cylinder loader at the range, and it was more convenient for range shooting. I had an extra cylinder also. It was actually fun swapping cylinders out , it's hard to describe why it was fun, but pushing the wedge out to break the gun down to pop in a fresh cylinder was cool.

The guns obviously hitting high like they're supposed to made Bullseye shooting challenging but this is how they were designed. Piettas are extremely accurate.

All 4 of my brassers have an early bolt drop. I spread the bolt legs on one of them and it's not as bad but if I pull the hammer back just a bit past half cock, the bolt drops. They are not properly timed but I'll work with them. I don't suppose a Uberti bolt would fit. I'll do my best and I'll probably just live with it. They function fine , I just have to be aware not to move the hammer too far back. It makes the hammer draw on one of them a bit rough. I could probably Polish the internals up with Mag Polish and see what happens. The bolt drag line on the cylinder of a $200 repro doesn't bother me.

Two of them were cap jam machines, and two had no problems with this at all. Both have the stock nipples , using CCI #11's. Mysterious. Maybe I'll track down some Slix Shot nipples.

View attachment 166622View attachment 166623View attachment 166624View attachment 166625

The range was set up for a Practical Handgun match so I did some "combat shooting " with the Schneider & Glassicks. They had no problem with "controlled pairs" from behind cover and it helped having 2 guns . I don't think they'd allow a pair of smoke wagons at an actual match though :)

View attachment 166626
heap of fun at the ol homestead here too.

Thank God for our freedoms responsibilities and liberties that we have been blessed with.

In many places in the world people can only dream of taking a cap and ball revolver out and blasting empty cans or punching paper

If its easy show me the money. The army and the Govt write everything down. If the army wanted a pistol that shot 10 inches high at 25yards which in my experience is still 10" high at 50 yards they would have that in writing. Show it to me.

If its easy show me the money. The army and the Govt write everything down. If the army wanted a pistol that shot 10 inches high at 25yards which in my experience is still 10" high at 50 yards they would have that in writing. Show it to me.
I wonder if printing high is not just the nature of open frame guns that are held together with an offset under barrel wedge and lower lug pressure, just as a rifle will shoot away from a tree the barrel is braced against . I don't ever remember sighting in even one that did not shoot high and off to one side or the other. Solid frames guns will also quite often exhibit this tendency but in my experience not as much or as often.

Last edited:
Back