• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bulged barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the process of oiling up my percussion guns for storage and when patching the bore of a recently purchased TC Hawken with a Green Mt 54 cal barrel when the patch seemed to lose contact with the bore fore about 3/4" at 6" from the breech. I measured the outside but could find no difference of more that a couple of thousandths of an inch. When held to a certain angle looking down the flats a bulge/defect is visible as a slight ripple on all but two of the flats. I have put only about 30 light ball loads through it so I know that I had nothing to do with the condition.

Now the questions
  • Is it safe to shoot? Looking down the bore, I can see no defect in the rifling or pitting of any kind
  • Is it possible that this is a manufacturing defect?
  • If the barrel is shortened, it will end up at about 24". What kind of accuracy could be expected with PRB with a 1 in 70" twist at this length
  • How much velocity would be lost with the shortening by 6"
I appreciate any input as this may be another winter project. For the record the barrel seems to shoot ok but I would like to know the answers anyway. :idunno:

Chek the flats on the outside of the barrel with a good streight edge. it sounds like it could be or has been bent if the blemish inside isn't uniform all the way around.
It's hard to determine the safty factor of an unseen barrel but you may be able to send it to green Mt and let them check it out for ya.
Heck they may even make it up for ya!
If its only showing .oo2 inch outside i dont think id be affraid to shoot it especialy since you have already shot it.
If it shoots to suit ya I dont think id cut it off.

Safe: probably
Manufacturing defect: not likely
Accuracy: about the same as before shortening
Velocity loss: not much. See Lyman's "Black Powder Handbook," most barrels get max velocity around 26" (at least w/58cal Minies) for some comparisons w/36" barrels.

If you shorten it, you will need to remove the breach plug, re-tap the breach, and re-install the plug, so keep that in mind. This is not a simple proceedure.

I,for one, would forget about the bulge. But if only 0.002" and it bothers you, file the flat(s) smooth, re-brown, and go happily forward.

BrianL said:
"...I have put only about 30 light ball loads through it so I know that I had nothing to do with the condition..."

You may well have bought it that way...but for the record I don't believe your conclusion is a valid one to draw.
A bore obstruction is a bore obstruction and bulged barrels are not caused only by max powder charges...particularly since this occurred way down low near the breech where pressure from any powder charge is the highest, you could very well have done it yourself with a moderate powder charge

An unseated conical or even a roundball that was not fully seated could cause a bulge even with a moderate charge. I loaned a rifle to a friend to use once and he double balled the barrel; not sure what charge he had in it but it has a slight bulge that can be felt with a cleaning patch and a very slight wrinkle on the outside but it still shoots ok.

Possibly safe, possibly not.... Is that possible ? I guess that means not safe, eh ? :hmm: .... never have a issue with one exactly as you describe it.
But for myself, I would change the barrel because I would know the barrel was bulged there. If it measures few thousands dif on the outside & you can feel it on the inside, Yes, it has repositioned metal there & IS bulged, even if ever so slightly. Could be several reasons.... Either you didn't get the ball down all the way on the charge, or the ball moved after you loaded it & I had this happen to me once.

I have a rifle that was given to me as a gift. I was loading it with a vent pick in the vent too tight one time, on a .40 cal. Loaded & sat it there on against the bench with the RR in it & out of the corner of my eye, thought I saw the RR move. I am thinking to myself "What the H. did I really see that ?" I checked & found the ball & RR had come up about 3" off the charge. Shoved it back down, it slowly came right back up ! :shocked2: Took the vent pick out & shoved it down again.. This time it stayed. That was the last time I loaded with a vent pick tight in the vent hole. How many times I had loaded that rifle like this & the ball moved, I don't know. Maybe once, maybe dozens of shots. But I found out cleaning it that night the barrel had a loose spot in it. You cannot see it on the outside, but you can feel it. Now it is a Colerain barrel & I have 4 of the ? 25 or so barrels I have used over the years that had loose spots in them. The others I sent back to Colerain & they replaced them with no issues. I don't know if this one had it originally, or I caused it.
But on my rifle, I have miced it dozens of times, straight edges & etc, and it is definitely not on the outside, so I think it was that way when it was made.... But it has always left me leery tho & I have not shot it for over 10 years, cause I won't shoot a barrel I am unsure of. I even have a new barrel to go in it, just have not took the time to replace it. Very good chance it was always this way & I am thinking this is the case, and maybe the ball actually moved because of the loose spot made the bore not as tight there & easier for the ball to move in that area ? :hmm: .. All I know is it DID move & I will never be comfortable shooting it as it is.

Back to your barrel...... Also, good chance you will get fouling buildup at this loose spot in the bore, as you could get blowby at this area when the ball goes past it. Less wall pressure on the ball/patch there could let gases escape at this point & cause fouling buildup.

Shortening the barrel involves allot of things. You can install a new barrel for almost the same procedure as you have to move the breechplug, underlugs, sights, etc. Can replace the barrel about as easy, but now have the cost of a new barrel. Velocity on one doesn't mean much to me on one, as most of my hunting shots are under 75 yards & for the hunting I do I don't need allot of velocity. I am looking for shot placement more than velocity if I can acquire the grouping I want. Second thought would be looks, balance, etc.

But as for using it as it is, several have told me they do it. But I personally would be uncomfortable with it & would cut it down or replace it.

Also, one should keep in mind... Not you because you are asking for opinion of it being safe..... but some guys always put Cost first, safety second....
Safety should always... come first as you seldom regret being safe first.
You can regret putting cost first.

You are doing it right asking about the safety of it, IMHO, that is the correct way of approaching it.

Keith Lisle

Based upon the information that I presented, I can see how you would question my conclusion. I base my conclusion on my shooting protocol when at the range. I use a solid aluminum range rod and use electrical tape to mark my rod so that with each loading, the seating is clearly visible and is verified. This allows me to try several loads by moving the tape each time and not worrying about using the wrong mark.

Didn't you clean the barrel before You ever fired
it? If so why didn't you find the "loose" spot then ,if it was already there? Not saying it was,just wondering, also if you fired 30 shots with the bulge already there and you were satisfied with the accuracy and no problem otherwise then there should be no problems now.
Another option might be to bore it to the next larger size.
Deadeye

When I got it, I ran a dry patch to check for oils and bore lighted it best as possible without a real bore light.Perhaps with a real light the bulge should show. It looks bright and shiny as new. It was used for years in competition by the previous owner. I shot 30 loads of 40 grains in a short study that I was doing on light loads in several calibers. As to full loads of 85 gr behind a ball or conical, I'm not so confident that it is worth the risk, hence the questions.

Decision is made, thanks for the input. Now to find a 11/16" 20 tap.

I couldn't sell or trade it

I wouldn't use it (after seeing the ring close up, I am happy with that decision, I will try to get a decent picture)

If this doesn't work out, a pair of pistols.

IMG_2128.jpg
[/img] -

I finally got the tap in the mail yesterday and got busy this morning re-breeching, hoping to get the carbine ready to hunt tomorrow morning. It went pretty well with the indexing of the flats being the only real time consumer as I had to end up on the correct flat. I finished a little later than I thought but got to shoot a few function shots. I ended up at 22 3/4" for barrel length. Shot it with 50 grs FFg @ 25 yds. I will be trying 70 grs in the morning.It will need some minor sight adjustment but I have enough travel in the receiver sight. The pics show it beside another TC with what was the same GM 54 barrel. Now to rework the stock...............
100_0216.jpg
[/img]
100_0229.jpg
[/img]
100_0213.jpg
[/img]

Back