• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buckshot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tried these at 50 feet in .69 caliber over 50 grains of Fg; white card over-powder wad, lubed 1/8" nitro wad, 1 1/4 oz. .310 diameter shot, lubed 1/2" cushion over-shot wad:
004.JPG
Lots of fun and I think it's a pretty usable pattern but not sure what for. Now that's muzzleloading.
008.JPG

Just over twice the volume of shot to the volume of powder. I'm sure we've all heard the rule of thumb "equal volume of powder and shot."😐

I'm not sure that rule applies to buckshot? If I calculated correctly, 9 balls of .31" is only 402 grains, 9/10 ounce. That's not a very hot load.

I'm impressed by your pattern, and surprised it is not much larger.

Spence

I'm not sure that rule applies to buckshot?
I suppose not. The recommendation I quoted (regular shot) seems to be shifting toward a greater amount of shot than powder and with that in mind felt a two-to-one ratio might be a starting point to try. I agree, not a hot load at all. Spence, I used 12 shot at 45 grains each for a total shot weight of 542 grains (1 1/4 oz.). Though mild, I found recoil and report noticeably greater than with the ten shot I first tried. Brit, thanks for the warning. What would the powder-to-shot ratio be for the load you describe? Thanks for your input fellas, please continue. I also tried a paper shot cup with #4 buck, it really tightened things up:
001.JPG

I think it's a pretty usable pattern but not sure what for.

Measure the pattern size and compare that to your accuracy with a single ball.
I'll bet you are far more accurate with a single ball. Deadly too.

@Gun Tramp, please describe the load pictured in #6.
Sorry about the clutter, Grenadier. I complain about messy targets and then post a mess. The load of 25 #4 buckshot "slugged" and made one hole in the printer paper at 11 o'clock. "Search" reveals shot cups are a whole 'nuther subject. Yes, fifty feet again.

Buckshot is always fun to "play" with, but it always leaves me disappointed.
I like the results much better if I reduce size to below "Buck" #4 to BB range.

Thank you for posting, Gun Tramp. I don't know what that buckshot load would be good for, either, but it's always enlightening and fun to experiment safely. Now you can speak from experience on how this load performs, and the rest of us can cite you as the authority!

The opening scene of James Fenimore Cooper's book, The Pioneers, involved a shot at a deer with a smoothbore loaded with buckshot. One errant pellet ended up in the arm of another hunter.

I would also like to speak in support of Britsmoothy's point about bounce-back with under-powered loads hitting hard surfaces. I have some experience with this. Be safe!

Notchy Bob

Thanks, fellas. In another life I used BB size successfully and it was a favorite. Can't find it now. I haven't had a problem with bounce-back but am finding flattened shot deposited at the base of my Cottonwood backstop. Bet I was a few grains away from the malady you gents warn of; I'll up the charge and report back.😁

I’d up the powder charge. I doubt those pellets are moving very fast.
the deer would not the difference? in most NEW ENGLAMD STATES, the use of buck shot has been out lawed. because of many of them are not killed in a humane fashion. going off to die. many of the animals are gut shot and die a horrible death. remember the hunters prayer, OH LORD PLEASE LET ME KILL CLEAN OR LET ME MISS CLEAN!

Buckshot is highly overrated. In my career I've seen it fail on several occasions. It only seems to work at living room distance.
Our Chief took it away from us years ago, replacing it with slugs. Across a living room slugs and buckshot have a similar effectiveness, and slugs are effective out to 100 yards, with some practice.

Buckshot averages about an inch per yard, the reason most law enforcement shun it now.

It is overrated. By the time you've fussed and faffed with it you may as well used a single ball or slug.
I know of a guy that fiddles and fusses developing loads in it for all manor of guns. Still only feels confident up to thirty yard's but his single solid projectiles are capable for much further. Never could understand....but it's his party so....

Back