• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning Mountain Rifle Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slumlord44

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have two and have a .54 coming that I recently purchased on GB. The lettering on it is gold filled. I am assuming that this was done after the fact since my other two have unfilled lettering. Any one care to confirm this?

I had one years ago and can confirm that mine did not have gold filled letters.

It could be one of the limited edition models, I believe they had gold filled lettering. My Browning Mtn rifle is a "Plain Jane", but it sure shoots great.

The gold didn't look right but the limited addition rings a bell.On googling it they should be marked as such and with a special serial #. They also came in a special wooden case. Don't think this is one. Will check it out when I get it after I get home from vacation. Probably won't get it till the end of next week.

I've seen a few guns from time to time where someone would put a little gold or even white paint in the lettering to make it pop. Some folks really like that sort of thing. If you gun was done this way and If you don't care for it a little alcohol and a tooth pick might clear it out pretty easily.

There is a gold fill kit called "Forster Bonanza Gold Fill Kit" which is not real gold but a fine bronze powder. They sell a solvent for it but I think acetone will cut it - give it a try if you want to remove it :v .

Back