• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broke Hawken!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Golden

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought my first T/C hawken a few months ago and got all geared up for muzzleloader season here in Ohio. It took me some time to get my gun sighted in and round up all the gadgets I thought I needed. After several trips to the Log Cabin Muzzleloading Shop, I felt I was ready to roll. I bought a nice sling that wrapped around the butt of the stock but didn't like the way it wrapped around the barrel for cleaning reasons. So....I just bought a new brass thimble for the barrel where it has an eyelet for the sling, I thought this would be the perfect soloution. I was a little worried about the thin threads that held this eyelet on to the thimble so I put loctite on it as a back up. On with the story, I bought this gun from a guy who had polished everything and this gun was beautiful, even had a light curly walnut stock. Well opening day came and I was out there ready to go first thing in the morning. Well, I was standing there talking to the buds getting ready to walk it to woods when I felt my gun slipping when I yanked on the sling, then I heard the barrel smack the ground.:shake: I turned around and picked the gun up and inspected to see what happened, the eyelet for the thimble had pulled out folding them over and my nightmare had came true. The force of the barrel hitting the ground cracked my stock on both sounds, 4 inch on one and a inch on the other. So I decided that was the end of that day, but still had to unload. I held the gun away from my body scared of what could happen, I fired the gun looking away, the, looked at the gun and it had split the crack a little more. :( So I am now in search for a new piece of wood for the stock? Could you guys help me out finding a really curly piece of maple for the stock? I'm kinda wanting a piece already inletted and just needing finished.

Sorry for the long winded story, just wanted to set the stage.

Thanks,
Mike

TOTW has 95% inletted stocks in pretty fancy grades. They are not drop ins! There are always several TC (factory) stocks on eBay.
BTW, don't use that silly little sling thimble any more.

You can try e-bay or if your are good with wood working call Track of the Wolf the have pre carved stocks that take minimal fitting for the T.C. . Or you might get lucky with a call to T.C. and they might replace it. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not plan on using that thimble anymore. I had reservations putting it on, but went ahead with it for ease of cleaning. I guess that mistake will cost me a couple hundred bucks. I thought about notifying T/C about it, but I am really wanting a deep curly stock like my bow.

Mike

Was the thimble TC's or was it aftermarket? If it was TC's it might be worth calling about a replacement stock but it probably won't be a real pretty one. Otherwise I will guess they won't warranty it.
I might add I only did one stock from TOTW but it is no where close to a drop in. It is a lot of work that requires some (considerable) woodworking skill. It was enough work I decided to make my next stock from scratch and it was not much more difficult.
I have no experience with the Pecatonica River stocks but if Mr. Zonie says it's good, it is good.

Go with Pecatonica. I've gotten stocks from them and they are great. Cheaper then TOTW. Call them and ask about inletting the butt plate, they will do that for a minimal fee.

Thanks for the lead on Pecatonica River Muzzleloading. It looks like they can do all the inletting for things. Thanks for everyones help.

Mike

If your original stock isn't missing any pieces, why not just fix it with some epoxy and threaded brass rods?

Sorry, but I don't just understand today's society's automatic response to simply replace something instead of trying to fix it. :idunno:

The only reason that I want to replace it is because even with brass rods you are still going to see the crack I just got the gun, and it didn't even have a scratch on it and now it has cracks on each side. No reason for me to explain this to you because I wont sway you to my reasoning.

Mike

Michael Golden said:
The only reason that I want to replace it is because even with brass rods you are still going to see the crack I just got the gun, and it didn't even have a scratch on it and now it has cracks on each side. No reason for me to explain this to you because I wont sway you to my reasoning.

Mike

I agree with you, it's your rifle. As said, go with Pecatonica River. I am pleased with the three stocks I have purchased from them in the past. Looking to buy another from them soon as I am planning a new rifle (notice I didn't call it a gun?) build.

This is my rifle
this is my gun
this one's for shooting
this one's for fun

I guess you may have to be military to understand that! :thumbsup:

Note to self, do not call a muzzleloader a "gun". I do appreciate you corecting me on this, because I do not want to sounds like a idiot on this forum.

Mikr

Michael Golden said:
Note to self, do not call a muzzleloader a "gun". I do appreciate you corecting me on this, because I do not want to sounds like a idiot on this forum.

Mikr

Don't worry about sounding like an idiot. There are plenty of those here. (Speaking for self) :rotf:

If you gotta replace a stock[obviously you don't care to repair it] and you don't mind the small problem of cost ,you might as well step up in quality and appearnce.I'm gonna check out Pecatonica for one for my renegade,although I have been considering a piece of cherry out in my workshop.I want a more Hawken look and the mechanical parts of it[my Renegade] and it's accuracy are good,You can't really make a renegade stock look that way,sooo...

i have a stock laying around that i was going to make a shotgun out of, but if you need it pay the shipping and it is yours. Done sanded down just needs some fine sanding and finish of your choice. It is a nice piece of walnut. 7\8 barrel tc hawkin.

I was thinking of replacing the stock on my Renegade.

I've replaced the trigger with a Davis. I replaced the sights and ramrod. I have a GM barrel ordered for it.

What's left? The lock?

If I replace the stock. Do I still call it a Renegade?

send it back to tc for warranty. Just be aware that you could be on the 2-3 month waiting list. They've really slowed down to a crawl.

Probably because they're moving to S&W in Springfield Mass. I grew up there and used to pass S&W everyday. All you see is a small building in the middle of a huge grass field. It's all underground. It must take forever to mow it.

Back