• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

british navy flintlock, circa french revolution...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homerdave

32 Cal.
Reaction score
what pistol would be an accurate reproduction of the ones in the horatio hornblower movies?

What's generally referred to as the Sea Service pistol ( sometimes preceeded by Royal Navy...or Tower...in the title). The Brits were the most profligate manufacturers of pistols for Naval use at the time and these were favored by period seamen of many nationalities.

Here's an image from one (of the many) makers of repros -
seaservicelong1.jpg
There is more info on that site as well, but I can not vouch for the validity of their sources. The pistol illustrated above matches the basic features of the early Sea Service however.

Last edited by a moderator:
so who makes a good replica of this style pistol?
i am looking to get one either finished or in a kit.

I think all the purveyors of "Made in India" repros sell Sea Serice pistols. The ones I know of are: Middlesex Village Trading Co.,Loyalist Arms and The Discriminating General. Google 'em and you'll have their websites. I haven't dealt with any of them personally, so Caveat Emptor applies ! Good luck.

I have both Pedersoli and Ubert pistols/revolvers/ longguns. Both brands are great shooters. The Pedersoli has slightly better appearance and they chrome the inside of the barrels. But, the Uberti guns are cheaper. I don't know about the model you are looking for but you can check online.

The only quality sea service pistol in kit form would be from "The Rifle Shoppe". Good luck if you order one. You might have it in 2 weeks, or 2 years. Of the India imports, I can only recommend MVTC because that's the only one I have dealt with, but be prepared to treat it as a kit. They need a lot of work. Here is one of their Brit Heavy Dragoons that I rebuilt. Works great now, but was inoperable when recieved.
pennyknife669_640x480.jpg

I have two of the English Dragoon Calvary pistols 1746. Copied after a Prussian pistoln
They look like the one in the last post. They were made in India by DGH. They are 62 cal. or 20 gauge. I have shot both. They are a blast to shoot. I'm into the 1800s Mountain Man and Rondies and all. I would part with one.
New email [email protected]
Tom

Hey scalper I was just paging through this forum. And most the pistols that look mine. With no screw in breach plug. I guess the don't shoot them.
Or maybe they don't know how on safe they are.
SMOKEPOLE58CAL.

Do you shoot that pistol? And if so what charge do you use? I have one just like that. and I heard they are unsafe to shoot. Let me know what you think.

I shoot 50gr of fffg behind a ball, or shot. Shot pattern with #71/2 shot would take squirrels out to 20 yrds, by the patterns I get with it.

Smokepole I was saying that if the breech plug is welded to the barrel I would say the gun is Unsafe to shoot...
on the otherhand if the tang is welded to the breechplug thats a different story,,..it means that a screw was used for a breechplug...which may be ok..
Perhaps others who won this particular pistol will chime in and tell whether thier breechplug is welded to the barrel....

If that doesn't happen soon, I'll pull my barrel and have a look. I am confident they are not welded. MVTC sells their guns to be shooters.

Back