• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

British knowledge info needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These two symbols were used by the British to mark government property. I belong to a British aligned unit of the Rev War period and would like to put this symbol on a horn I am making. Which would be the most proper for the 1770-1780 time period?
ADE67F98-5CB9-40F9-A1A7-97ED7FB635EE.jpeg

The first one came from an image of a horn which might be more Nepoleonic. So, I bow to those who have far better informed than I. Thank you.

You could use two of the Broad Arrow point to point, which means no longer military property and eliminate the letters. The one on the left with BO is the earlier one. Not sure what the BO stood for though.
Edit: Just remembered the BO stands for Board of Ordnance. The GR is for King George not sure which one though, that style was used in WWII.

Last edited:
I don’t know if they marked horns. Horns tended to be used for cannon priming at the time.
On a personal powder horn I would THINK this would be an unlikely mark

Re Horns while some of the' Rifles' Napoleonic had Horns they where more a Magazine of Powder and the loading was from a smaller pocket flask of copper. Or paper cartridges' in a ' pouch' .I know of no earlier Perhaps the earlier rifle units had a horn But I cant see either getting a branded mark since their was no' standard issue' Ordnance pattern & such items where down to Regimental purchases or Company level ones .Greater' Students of arms' than I have sought to find what was supplied it would likley hold a pound of powder have a turned brass plug/end cap and a charger for 4 to six drams according the percieved needs, Fixed charger, common spring cut off top also of brass . If you can find a copy of Major Myatts Book' Firearms 'there is a East India Coy horn with these features for some Company light Fusil .And Ide say thats as good a pattern as you might find . I made one for a 95th reenactor who aspired, but in the end didn't' do' 95th . so I bought it back & gave it to a Mr Harding noted author .Not one of the 95th Reenactors Ive met (If that was only at Waterloo in 1995 ) non had what ide call a correct horn .I cant blame them as there just wasn't a definite ' Issue' type affirmed at that time . The noted researcher Adrian Roads Might by now have found a better example & he did 95th (I was 92nd ) . The B0 would be more a stock stamp. You want one ? PM me .
Trusting that helps
Regards Rudyard

Use the GR and Arrow for your time period the BO mark is from the 19th century stands for board of ordnance. What weapon would you be making the horn for? Would go with a British 76 rifle or a Ferguson. Could also be used for Light infantry loading running ball.

Use the GR and Arrow for your time period the BO mark is from the 19th century stands for board of ordnance. What weapon would you be making the horn for? Would go with a British 76 rifle or a Ferguson. Could also be used for Light infantry loading running ball.
The 'Board of Ordnance' pre dates the 19c . If what horns such units had is unlikely to be an' Issue pattern' as such items had no such' pattern' . Being down more to company level private purchase so its a mystery what these horns where like, If you have found documentary accounts I & many more learned than I, would love to hear of them ..The Rifles might well have such a Horn but what it looked like, measured, and what fittings ? This as far as ime aware are unknown ( certainly to me,) but I doubt any such got a brand .or much of any mark of ownership. I would speculate that they probably had a turned brass stopper & a fixed charger with a' wraparound' spring cut off. A sort well preceding the 18c perhaps of metal or possibly lanthorn bodies. Though the natural cow horn would be familiar & suited to the human wearing of them . Please don't think ime questioning your beliefs. where on the same wave length of this study .
Regards Rudyard

Back