• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Boy I'm Mentoring Earns His Sharpshooter Rocker & Pin!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Patrick did it again! The 13 year old that was gifted the .50 Hawken just before Christmas has once again proven he's a tough competitor! He shot both Winchester/NRA Qualification targets yesterday (in a howling wind with crazy changes in direction) from 50 yards distance utilizing the standing (offhand) position to earn his Sharpshooter rocker & pin. He needed only 50 points on each of two targets out of a possible score of 100, but the boy did a fine job battling both his juvenile arthritis AND the weather to overcome the obstacles laid in front of him! We're all really proud of Patrick and his accomplishments thus far :applause: !

Neither attempt required the full amount of shots allowed for each separate target, even with some of our adults being blown way-off target yesterday!

So now he has the LONG road to hoe in going for his Expert Quals which require both a 50 & 100 yard match with 26 balls shot at each distance (52 total in a single day) while engaging the targets with offhand, prone & sitting positions. I think if he puts his mind to it that he'll overcome what ever obstacle is in his way to achieve it!

So that's the news for now, except to say that he spent 6 hours building a Kentucky .50 cal Pistol two Saturdays ago and we shot it a few times yesterday to start to get it sighted in some. He's all excited about making it himself (with expert help from our league chairman Lance). Right now it's shooting over a foot high at 25 yards, but a taller front sight should remedy that problem and he'll be "good-to-go!"

Stay tuned!

Dave

Good for both of you! Sounds like you'll have a friend/shootin' pard for life! See what a difference a person can make in a childs' life? :hatsoff:

Yeah,

I figure that we'll get some good times in, as long as we both stay healthy. It sure has been an interesting 9 months or so!

Thanks to you & Swampy for writing back with support & encouragement. It is sincerely appreciated!

Dave

Dave, I hope he's aware of the fact that the higher on the ladder he gets, the steeper it gets. He seems to be gaining ground very rapidly. He's getting closer to a failed attempt, and that can be devastating for a young lad.
You and your group are doing a fine job. Keep up the good work.

Give him a hearty "Outstanding!" from me, if you would.

And good job on your part, as well as everyone that has helped him.

Dan

Sounds like that Lad is keeping his powder dry and his eye on the wind. So nice to read these posts. This is what it's all about. Who can tell the stories but our youth when we are gone. Good on you with your caring for this young man....

R.M. said:
Dave, I hope he's aware of the fact that the higher on the ladder he gets, the steeper it gets. He seems to be gaining ground very rapidly. He's getting closer to a failed attempt, and that can be devastating for a young lad.
You and your group are doing a fine job. Keep up the good work.

Bob,

He's already missed a lot of shots at a Novelty Shoot, (un-adjusted sights were part of the problem :wink: ) so he knows the feeling of losing too! We've already spoken about the hard hill to climb with regard to his going for the Expert Qualification, and that he may not make it on his every attempt (he needs to do the entire 52 shot COF in a single day, with two 13-shot targets at 50 yards & two 13-shot targets at 100 yards) and he needs to do it TWICE!

He's aggressive in his shooting and tends to wear himself out, so I plan on coaching him to eat, drink, rest, go to the head, etc. so he maintains an even keel for the duration. The rules say that it has to be done in the same day, they don't say it has to be done at warp speed!

May & June are good months to try to do this since the wind tends to be more of a consideration in the winter :wink: . He needs to do well at 50 yards with 70x100 or better on both offhand & sitting targets so he can "coast" with only a 50x100 from the offhand & prone positions at 100 yards. His Youth Small Bore training will kick-in with the prone position, so where most folks have a hard time, I think that he'll be able to do well enough to make it :wink: .

Dave

Celt & Dan C,

Thanks for the compliments to us both and I'll be sure to pass-along your sincere wishes. It's a pleasure coaching this young man.

He's really grateful for everything everyone has done for him. In fact, one of the members who wants to remain nameless sponsored his membership in the Garden State Black Powder Association, which is one of the two NMLRA Charter Clubs that donated the funds to buy the rifle & all of the supplies last December! This gentleman was so impressed by Patrick's demeanor & safety acumen that he jumped at the chance to help him. Due to this generosity, Patrick is now looking forward to attending the Annual Rendezvous on Columbus Day weekend :grin: .

So I've exposed him to both NJ NMLRA Charter Clubs and he's having a blast at both! He's looking forward to his first Woods Walk around May or June :) .

Thanks again.

Dave

Latest posts

Back