• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bought a pieta 1858 Remington. Looking for some load data and answers.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And to preface this for everyone. I use vauge and applicable examples to explain the self defense stuff. I don't have the energy or time to explain every last detail before I would pull the trigger. Not running away is not the same as escalating a situation. If I say stop chasing me with a machete eventually I'm going to turn around and shoot you. Now how long would I run im not sure. But I do intend to exhausted every realistic option to not pull the trigger but y'all act like I'm saying I would shoot a guy for having a brick. No I wouldn't shoot him for having a brick. But if he tries to kill me with said brick then my actions are between me and God. Let's rein all this back in to black powder and muzzle loading. I believe we left off at im 18 and dont know enough to have an option so let's pick back up there.
Why dose everyone think I need a 200 gn conical. What's wrong with a hp that won't expand or for self defense a hp that will expand. I have always thought tho I have no way of proving it that non expanded HP tumble more readily because of the weight distribution kind of like a reverse shuttlecock effect with the heavy rear end trying to straighten up. Also a round ball at 1100 should get more than enough penetration to go through a white tail deer. If not a 200gn round nose at 800 will. If it has been done with h bows for thousands of years why is a cap and ball just so crazy.

I get it. you think you know everything because you are 18yrs old and you really don't know a whole lot. We were all there once. Most of us lived to learn a few things. some of us did not... If your rig is stabbing you in the junk your not doing it right and you just might lose your junk. Just ask Plaxico Burgess or Corporal Hoobler. Can't ask Corpral Hoobler because he bled out when that .32 he had in his waistband went off and severed his femoral artery. The Only way to safely carry concealed is in a holster that covers the trigger and with a SAA type revolver also covers the hammer.
The thought occurs that this young chap could just put it in a gymbag or something until he gets to his car...

...cap jams won't happen because my caps are glued on and that Remingtons almost never cap jam. I said more than once that it's a car gun and not intended to be carried. Then to top it off I do have a carry holster for it if I did want to carry it. So dispite all of that people will still find a way to not pick at me with little to no proof to back it up.
I agree with you about Remingtons; I have never had a cap jam in a couple of thousand shots (although I have had several dozen with my Colt). Personally, BP shooting is all I do, and like you I am certain that if a violent person breaks into my house my Remington will go off. When I carry my gun(s) out to the car I simply put it into either a small purpose built carrying case, or a gymbag. The rifles of course have cases. The thought of you putting it into your belt terrifies me for your sake! In terms of personal carry, have you considered pepperpots or the snubnose 'Thunderers'? Being a Brit I don't know wether or not these contavene any laws in Texas. Don't worry about 'nit-picking', often it is well intended and to be fair, youthful enthusiasm can sometimes come across as reinventing the wheel. What you will probably find as you proceed in this forum is that people who appear to nit - pick on some things will agree with you on others, and we all generally get along. Also, conversations on here can spiral - you can say something which someone picks up on, answer their response and before you know it you're down a rabbithole defending something you said which has nothing to do with the original subject! If you feel a poster is becoming overbearing or gets personal just politely say that the conversation is turning ugly, and that you have nothing further to say to them. Continue the BP shooting and 'carry the torch' so to speak. And dont you forget us now, or your BP guns, once your legally allowed to have a point-and-squeeze. If you don't already know this guy, try checking out his Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@ILoveMuzzleloading

Last edited:
I agree with you about Remingtons; I have never had a cap jam in a couple of thousand shots (although I have had several dozen with my Colt). Personally, BP shooting is all I do, and like you I am certain that if a violent person breaks into my house my Remington will go off. When I carry my gun(s) out to the car I simply put it into either a small purpose built carrying case, or a gymbag. The rifles of course have cases. The thought of you putting it into your belt terrifies me for your sake! In terms of personal carry, have you considered pepperpots or the snubnose 'Thunderers'? Being a Brit I don't know wether or not these contavene any laws in Texas. Don't worry about 'nit-picking', often it is well intended and to be fair, youthful enthusiasm can sometimes come across as reinventing the wheel. What you will probably find as you proceed in this forum is that people who appear to nit - pick on some things will agree with you on others, and we all generally get along. Also, conversations on here can spiral - you can say something which someone picks up on, answer their response and before you know it you're down a rabbithole defending something you said which has nothing to do with the original subject! If you feel a poster is becoming overbearing or gets personal just politely say that the conversation is turning ugly, and that you have nothing further to say to them. Continue the BP shooting and 'carry the torch' so to speak. And dont you forget us now, or your BP guns, once your legally allowed to have a point-and-squeeze. If you don't already know this guy, try checking out his Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@ILoveMuzzleloading
I am legally aloud to have real guns so to speak I just love bp in general. As for the gym bag thing I want to avoid having a bag in my car I feel it attracts attention to any would be robber. Still no one has explained to me the safety ramifications of carrying it in a belt for short distances. The hammer is down and locked in-between a cylinder.

After reading all your post, your age, maturity, inexperience and ego shows. I'm sure glad you live in Texas. Semper Fi
I am sorry if I come off as immature or combative but 4 days of people coming after me for no reason other than me being young dose that. I understand that I am young and don't know everything but saying I know nothing or that I can't have a valid opinion because I'm 18 is stupid. And every time someone says something and I prove it wrong people just stoop lower to try and get at me. First it was power then reliability then it was because there is better options then it can't be reloaded fast enough and we go all the way down the rabbit hole to the point where we are arguing whether or not you should carry at all. I think what is more immature is that grown men are arguing with an 18 yo about any of this.

After reading all your post, your age, maturity, inexperience and ego shows. I'm sure glad you live in Texas. Semper Fi
When people can't come up with a good point or have no rebuttal they just fall back on "your 18" so your opinion doesn't count. And it's aggravating because I like to consider myself as an equal to many people on here for the soul reason that I do what I want and try things different. And because of that I have answers to questions that haven't been brought up yet.

When people can't come up with a good point or have no rebuttal they just fall back on "your 18" so your opinion doesn't count. And it's aggravating because I like to consider myself as an equal to many people on here for the soul reason that I do what I want and try things different. And because of that I have answers to questions that haven't been brought up yet.
Everyone was 18 at one time. The smart ones realize that we didn't know as much as we thought we did then. You may attain that wisdom someday too.

Everyone was 18 at one time. The smart ones realize that we didn't know as much as we thought we did then. You may attain that wisdom someday too.
See what I mean you come after me for being 18 and not knowing as much as I think. Yet I have not said anything that I can't or won't back up. In terms of BP or muzzle loading. The reason I'm so combative of y'all just say I'm wrong and when I say "well I think I'm right explain why I'm wrong" y'all just change the subject and blame it on my age. Y'all haven't said a single thing about using hard cast hp. Y'all haven't said anything about reloading since. Y'all haven't said anything about anything relevant besides coming after me. Personally I feel that I have some good ideas and y'all don't want to admit I'm right. If I'm wrong then someone please for the love of all that is holy tell me why something is wrong. Tell me why it's unsafe to carry a cap and ball in my belt without a holster to get it to my car. Tell my why a 45 acp mold won't work but a conical will. Please explain to me why anything I have said is wrong. Or just keep ripping I to me for being 18.

I seem to remember you once saying a similar thing to me. Based on the fact that after a shoot I like to settle down in an evening and have a drink, putting on a good movie whilst I clean my guns , you construed that I was a drunkard who should not be allowed near firearms and that it was a good job I did not live in the US. If there is one thing that will put a young person off our hobby and continue its downward spiral into obscurity, it is young people being put down by older gents who appear to be prissy and holier - than - thou. Not saying that you personally are sir, but you could certainly lighten up a bit.

I seem to remember you once saying a similar thing to me. Based on the fact that after a shoot I like to settle down in an evening and have a drink, putting on a good movie whilst I clean my guns , you construed that I was a drunkard who should not be allowed near firearms and that it was a good job I did not live in the US. If there is one thing that will put a young person off our hobby and continue its downward spiral into obscurity, it is young people being put down by older gents who appear to be prissy and holier - than - thou. Not saying that you personally are sir, but you could certainly lighten up a bit.
Personally no amount of persecution will turn me away. I Love black powder. Been reloading 45 38 44 and all kinds of rifle loads since I was a kid but nothing tickles me like black powder.

See what I mean you come after me for being 18 and not knowing as much as I think. Yet I have not said anything that I can't or won't back up. In terms of BP or muzzle loading. The reason I'm so combative of y'all just say I'm wrong and when I say "well I think I'm right explain why I'm wrong" y'all just change the subject and blame it on my age. Y'all haven't said a single thing about using hard cast hp. Y'all haven't said anything about reloading since. Y'all haven't said anything about anything relevant besides coming after me. Personally I feel that I have some good ideas and y'all don't want to admit I'm right. If I'm wrong then someone please for the love of all that is holy tell me why something is wrong. Tell me why it's unsafe to carry a cap and ball in my belt without a holster to get it to my car. Tell my why a 45 acp mold won't work but a conical will. Please explain to me why anything I have said is wrong. Or just keep ripping I to me for being 18.
You are getting grief for acting like a "know it all," when it is clear to those with real life experience , YOU DON'T. Clear enough. So keep spouting off and you will continue to get the same response. Try this, College graduate, Marine Officer, Led men in Combat(72), worked in Govt DOD,DIA,DSE for 12 years taking out the trash. Participated in trials multiple times. Worked with lawyers, Da's and Govt officials. for years. Earned two Master Degrees from Baruch and Wharton, top 5% of the schools in USA, graduated 3rd in my class, career on Wall Street , retired at 57! Have held a CCW in several states for over 53 years. Qualified, Credential trainer at Federal,State Local levels. Have been shooting one way or the other for 62 years! Ok, your turn. Oh yeah, that is what i thought! You actually think YOU know more than many of us? Think again. You just do not get it. The law is fluid, and there is a difference between an Attorney and a Trial Attorney. Many miscreants have walked because of a really good attorney, and many who thought they were justified and doing the right thing are doing time instead, because of a very good Attorney(DA). The good guy does not always win, life is not fair, and YOU do not always come out on top. Its called reality. Smart people listen and learn from others. the arrogant self important types think they already know it all.

Last edited:
If he did not actually call you a drunkard, then what you construe is on you. Only a fool takes counsel from an 18 yr old. IMHO

You are getting grief for acting like a "know it all," when it is clear to those with real life experience , YOU DON'T. Clear enough. So keep spouting off and you will continue to get the same response. Try this, College graduate, Marine Officer, Led men in Combat(72), worked in Govt DOD,DIA,DSE for 12 years taking out the trash. Participated in trials multiple times. Worked with lawyers, Da's and Govt officials. for years. Earned two Master Degrees from Baruch and Wharton, top 5% of the schools in USA, graduated 3rd in my class, career on Wall Street , retired at 57! Have held a CCW in several states for over 53 years. Qualified, Credential trainer at Federal,State Local levels. Have been shooting one way or the other for 62 years! Ok, your turn. Oh yeah, that is what i thought! You actually think YOU know more than many of us? Think again. You just do not get it. The law is fluid, and there is a difference between an Attorney and a Trial Attorney. Many miscreants have walked because of a really good attorney, and many who thought they were justified and doing the right thing are doing time instead, because of a very good Attorney(DA). The good guy does not always win, life is not fair, and YOU do not always come out on top. Its called reality. Smart people listen and learn from others. the arrogant self important types think they already know it all.
All that experience and you couldn't answer my questions. I'll admit I'm not an attorney and I have no experience in that realm and anything I say to that end is quoting people smarter than me or my own basic understanding. Notice not a single thing you referenced as experience has anything to do with black powder. And I never said I know more than many people on here. I said I felt I was an equal in the value of my knowledge to many people on here. Again maybe I do come off as a know it all but no one gives me any actual reasoning just their opinions on me being wrong.

If he did not actually call you a drunkard, then what you construe is on you. Only a fool takes counsel from an 18 yr old. IMHO
Only a fool writes off new ideas as ignorance without first atleast considering that knowledge is not restricted to age. The invention of the cartridge gun was considered stupid and the military actually turned the idea down for a long time. The inventor of the ak 47 was thought to be reinventing the wheel. Have you ever considered that it's possible for you to be wrong too?

Wy bother answering your questions when you already know everything...
I don't know everything never said I did. But with an answer it's reasonable to expect an explanation before I believe it. But y'all never give explanations just statements with no backing. And when I ask for an explanation it falls on deaf ears.

All that experience and you couldn't answer my questions. I'll admit I'm not an attorney and I have no experience in that realm and anything I say to that end is quoting people smarter than me or my own basic understanding. Notice not a single thing you referenced as experience has anything to do with black powder. And I never said I know more than many people on here. I said I felt I was an equal in the value of my knowledge to many people on here. Again maybe I do come off as a know it all but no one gives me any actual reasoning just their opinions on me being wrong.
Your questions have been answered along time ago. It is not about BP, it doesn't matter. It is about using lethal force. You can do whatever you want with BP. When it comes to a shooting it will not matter whether it was BP or Smokeless. You are not equal in knowledge etc because you think you are. it is an earned position, demonstrated by years of actual proficiency and work. There is no free ride because you read a book or watched U Tube. You sit and practice reloading an 1858 quickly. great, now what? Expect to get into a firefight where that will be a crucial skill? Time would be better spent learning how to avoid the situation in the first place. All of this is just ne man's experience, a man with considerable real life experience. You can take it or leave it. the choice is yours. I've paid my dues, earned my stripes etc, Seen the Elephant. I have nothing to prove and actually like it that way. I share my experience and what I have seen happen in real life. I do not expect anyone to thank me on turn somersaults. You use what you can and ignore the rest. Stay safe, Stay aware, Stay alive.

Back