• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore size??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Measurements?
40 caliber =
45 caliber =
Got a new barrel in a kit with no markings (7/8" across the flats) and am trying to figure out what caliber it is.
Thinking it's 40 (?) but would like to be sure.
TIA, Mike.

Not sure what you are asking.... .40 caliber is .400 inches, .45 is .450 inches. If you're thinking about fractions, .40 is close to 13/32 and .45 is close to 7/16

I would recommend getting a vernier caliper; you'll find even an inexpensive one is very useful if you mess around with guns of any type.

Funny story. I had an H&H barrel lying around since the early 80s and finally got around to building the rifle last winter. I thought all these years it was a .40 and when I went to measure it for ball size AFTER the gun was completed it came up .360. I looked at the bottom of the barrel and they had stamped it .36. DUH.

If the bore has an odd number of grooves, it's hard to get a good measurement using calibers.

I find that having a set of pin gauges is a good investment for determining actual bore sizes.

Travers.com has a nice variety of ZZ class gauges. I like to use the "minus" gauges.

https://www.travers.com/product/ver...black-guard-pin-gages-770955?categoryIds=6287
They are relatively inexpensive at about $5 a pop (used to be about $3 a pop a couple of years ago but ain't that life these days?).

Anyway just slide gauges down your bore until you find one that doesn't fit. Find the next smaller one and there is your bore size.

It's important to note here that what is stamped on the barrel is probably not the actual bore size. I've seen many a barrel stamped ".577" and the bore varies widely, depending on manufacture and use. Had one that measured out .584!

This is why it's always a good idea to find your actual bore size if you are trying to load up precision-fit ammunition.

THAT'S exactly what I was looking for. Thank You. :thumb:
So, when I put the kit up for sale, at least I'll know what I'am talking about. ;)
Looks like I can't SELL the Kit "here". Can't post pictures or add anything from my computer like name or date as required.
Not thinking about that, tried and the post got dumped before the keys even got cold.
Looks like it'll be going on the shelf for eternity. :(

Back