• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore diameter.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 77 and have just about stopped adding to the pile (looking for a left-hand long rifle) but I've only sold one gun so far. Have to get moving on that, I have some guns I've never shot and have had for years.

Is your gun of English origin? That bore size would roughly correspond to a 40 bore rifle. That's the reason we see so many guns of that caliber. The Europeans tended to work in "bore", and Americans in "caliber".

Is your gun of English origin? That bore size would roughly correspond to a 40 bore rifle. That's the reason we see so many guns of that caliber. The Europeans tended to work in "bore", and Americans in "caliber".
yes, it's from England. The bore measures .425 so it could be a .40 but it would need a really thick patch.
I've never owned one like this before, I know they're loaded from the breach and may not even use a patch.

I think I might not have explained it as well as I might have. Anecdotally, I have a Purdey SxS 40 BORE rifle that is .48 (calibre) across the lands, and .52 (calibre) in the grooves. It is marked 40 BORE under the barrels (which isn't what that CALIBER would be). The seller (James D, Julia auction) mistakenly labeled it as a 40 CALIBER, but I suspected otherwise, which was born out when it arrived.

Here are the Gauges (or bore size) for common calibers of rifles.

.32 cal. ( .320) - 142 gauge.
.36 cal. ( .360) - 100 gauge.
.40 cal. ( .401) - 72 gauge.
.45 cal. ( .450) - 51 gauge.
.50 cal. ( .501) - 37 gauge.
.54 cal. ( .531) - 31 gauge.
.58 cal. ( .579) - 24 gauge.
.62 Cal. ( .615) - 20 gauge.
.66 cal. ( .662) - 16 gauge.
.69 cal. ( .693) - 14 gauge.
.72 cal. ( .729) - 12 gauge.
.75 cal. ( .751) - 11 gauge
.77 cal. ( .775) - 10 gauge.
.83 cal. ( .835) - 8 gauge( or Bore)
.92 cal. ( .919) - 6 gauge( or Bore)
1.0 cal. ( 1.052)- 4 gauge( or Bore)
1.3 cal. ( 1.355)- 2 gauge( or Bore)
1.7 cal. ( 1.669)- 1 Gauge( or Bore)

Here's another link from the British Militaria Forums that speaks to the same;

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bri...nglish-bore-to-caliber-conversion-t11574.html
Your .425" caliber looks like it might roughly correspond to about a 60 bore.

Last edited:
I’m thinking a .490 ball will be too big. I’m not an expert on commercially available sizes, but I’d be looking at something in the .470 or .475 range which could be hard to locate.
My understanding is that a lot of the original rifles were inconsistent in bore size, and the builder included molds that fit that gun.

Back