• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bobcat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The first time I took my Bobcat out to shoot, it fired a couple of caps and several loads (maybe 10) with 50 grains FFFg and .490 hornady swaged balls. Then I ran out of Remington caps. I tried some Navy Arms caps and had to fire each cap twice to get them to go off.
Okay, I thought, they're smaller caps and the first strike just seats them all the way down on the nipple. I got a new MSM nipple and tried again. Worked fine until I had fired about 7 shots, then it took two hits to get the caps to go off. I wiped the outside of the nipple clean(er) and tried again, same thing. Shot like that for a while, then went home and cleaned the gun.
Next time out, same thing, up to 10 good fires and then every shot takes 2 hits to set the cap off. Doesn't seem to matter whether I use Remington or Navy Arms (DWM) caps.
Has anyone else ever experienced this?
Thanks

Let's start with the obvious. Don't take no offense, now.
Is there cap debris stuck in the hammer nose?
You picking the vent between shots?
When it starts to fail have you removed the nipple and run a pipe cleaner into the flash channel?
When you bust a cap on the unloaded gun will that move a leaf on the ground just in front of the muzzle?

I debreeched a CVA one time to find a wad of milling debris (steel wool, like) just ahead of the drum. But that gun failed to fire more randomly than yours.
Hope this helps.
Moose

I have 2 bobcats and if nipple is little big, the cap don't fit down far enought it takes 2 hits to go off. Sounds like your mainspring might get weak after so many shots. I never had one that was, not sure if these could happen? But why would it set them for 10 shots then, not? Maybe you could put a peice of leather on nipple and dry fire it, check to see how it marked the leather, shot till it missfires, then check it again to see if it marks it as hard. Dilly

Not understandin' the RWS numberin' system I once bought a container of pistol caps. Acted just like you describe, some of 'em woundn't go off, until the hammer hit 'em again. Either the nipple's too big, the caps are too small or accumulated dirt is keepin' the cap from seatin' all the way. :v

I had a similar problem with my old CVA mountainstalker once. It is basically the same as a bobcat. The hammer started hitting too light to set off the caps. I took the lock out and gave it a good scrubbing and oiling. Never had a problem with it since, but I found it best to clean and oil the lock after every outing.
DJL

You might try backing off the lock bolt a bit. If it's to tight it may be slightly rubbing against the inside of the hammer.

I have 4 CVA sidelocks and 2 or 3 of them had this very problem. CVA locks are cheaply made and the tumbler tends to be fitted tight against the inside of the lock plate making them bind up a little. I have had to disassemble a couple of the locks and file and sand and steel wool them until the locks worked smoother and quicker. This cured the problem for the most part. I like to use Remington caps as they are a little shallower than CCI caps and tend to seat better and thus fire more reliably.Cleaning and oiling the locks will also help.

Don

Check the nipple and feel with your fingernail if it has a ring around the end from the hammer hitting it. I had this problem on my bobcat and filed it off from the sides. I eventually had to go with a slightly longer nipple-a stainless steel hot-shot if I remember correctly. Hope this helps.

Yup. Sounds like the same problem I had with my Bobcat last year. I called CVA and they told me to send it to them. They even sent me a prepaid UPS label. In about 2 weeks I got my Bobcat back and haven't had a problem since. Total cost to me 2 weeks of waiting.

Now there is the best solution. I guess that CVA is aware of the problem and have a quick-fix. Too bad that they don't do it right the first time. But maybe someone else makes their locks for them. I'm just speculating. Someone told me that CVA is discontinuing all side locks. Is that true? I sure hope not, but it seems to be a trend with gun manufacturers. Maybe I will contact them and find out.

Another thing that I've seen guys do is heat-treat the tumbler, b/c it is rather soft from the factory. Easiest to just get a can of Kasenit and case harden the sucker. I haven't done this, but would if I shot the rifle a lot.
DJL

Back