• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blunderbuss PRB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJohnson2023

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I made a post a while ago trying to find out if patching the ball in my traditions .54 blunderbuss would produce better results. I have finally been able to do my own test.
3 shots each
80 gr 2f Goex
.530 round ball
the three patched loads used a .010 lubed shooting patch, the other three shots were bare ball, no wad
It seems like the patched ball pattern is far better(although a pain to load in the fouled bore), in addition its incredibly difficult to seat the ball on the patch with that bell in the way.
Note: the first unpatched shot had trouble igniting, I had to take the nipple off and put some powder. This first shot hit slightly off the lower right corner of the plate, possibly due to this.
Let me know any thoughts or comments.
20240421_124432.jpg
20240421_124809.jpg

What was the distance?

I shot a ball, maybe 2 through a blunderbuss when I finished the kit, but I don't remember the results - I wasn't trying for accuracy since there was no way to sight over the bell.

Now I want to try again...

What was the distance?

I shot a ball, maybe 2 through a blunderbuss when I finished the kit, but I don't remember the results - I wasn't trying for accuracy since there was no way to sight over the bell.

Now I want to try again...
Measured with a range finder at 31 yards. The bell makes sighting difficult because you're aiming higher than you think. I use a cut down golf tee as a front sight!

The difficulty loading a PRB made it a non-starter for me. I use buckshot for large things in the 30 yard or less range. Original loadings by stagecoach guards back in the day called for “pea-sized” shot.

The difficulty loading a PRB made it a non-starter for me. I use buckshot for large things in the 30 yard or less range. Original loadings by stagecoach guards back in the day called for “pea-sized” shot.
Have you hunted with a model similar to mine? the .54 traditions. I suppose pea sized shot would be roughly #4 buck?

:D

I had to go back and zoom in on your pic to see that! What's holding it on - black crepe/medical tape?

Great idear.
I put one small piece of black electric tape while I adjust it's position, then I put a longer piece on when it's situated. Holds surprisingly well!

Back