• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blunderbuss pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the earlier pattern I mentioned I had, a catalan blunderbuss was built around this piece. As I can tell it predates TRS musket 1752 pattern but is more modern than the piece on this blunderbuss. As you can see it is stamped with the crowned R even! The stamping inside I photographed as well. In regards to barrel location I pulled some bronze off a shipwreck (prop shaft) and machined from a solid piece.

Attachments

• gallery_6250_444_30647.jpg
    gallery_6250_444_30647.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
  • gallery_6250_444_1462155.jpg
    gallery_6250_444_1462155.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 0
  • stamp.jpg
    stamp.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 0
This project should end up with a super looking "pirate" style pistol, per say. LOL Can't wait to see this one finished.

Rick
The idea isn't pirate so much as Spanish naval officer/gentleman. Someone who made a fortune in the new world or is heading out to find it. It very well could have fallen into the hands of a pirate but first he would have to pirate it . . .

I stand in awe of you! Inetting the barrel tedious but straight forward. Shaping the stock just take your time. But shaping the pommel and inletting the butt cap I wouldn't know where to begin.
Look forward to seeing your project when it is completed.

I stand in awe of you! Inetting the barrel tedious but straight forward. Shaping the stock just take your time. But shaping the pommel and inletting the butt cap I wouldn't know where to begin.
Look forward to seeing your project when it is completed.
Not as bad as a queen anne, you are literally working with 1/16 inch of wood between pieces in some places and it has the butt and side!

Attachments

• IMG_4891.JPG
    IMG_4891.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
The idea isn't pirate so much as Spanish naval officer/gentleman. Someone who made a fortune in the new world or is heading out to find it. It very well could have fallen into the hands of a pirate but first he would have to pirate it . . .
Of course, my use of the word "pirate" was in fun.

What an interesting form of raw material you made that barrel from. Wish I had that kind of talent. Turned out great. What caliber did you decide on ?

Rick

Not as bad as a queen anne, you are literally working with 1/16 inch of wood between pieces in some places and it has the butt and side!
Fellow Forum member Dave Person did a tutorial a while back on his method for shaping and installing the butt cap on these pistols. It was quite informative. But I suspect Commodore already knows how to do this. LOL

I've always thought those Queen Ann style pistols were the most beautiful flint pistols ever made. And as long as I can remember originals always brought a big premium at auctions. Even a custom replica will bring big dollars. Stylistically, they are just so attractive looking.

Rick

Here is the earlier pattern I mentioned I had, a catalan blunderbuss was built around this piece. As I can tell it predates TRS musket 1752 pattern but is more modern than the piece on this blunderbuss. As you can see it is stamped with the crowned R even! The stamping inside I photographed as well. In regards to barrel location I pulled some bronze off a shipwreck (prop shaft) and machined from a solid piece.
Hi Commodore

Now THAT is an interesting Spanish lock. As I recall, by at least 1720 the Spanish begun making their own lock patterns based on the French flintlock of that era. Possibly using the French 1728 lock as a pattern. TRS information also seems to confirm this. The lock plate on your lock has the same distinctive banana curve as the French lock. But, your original Spanish lock has the "arm" between the pan and frizzen, a bit later feature. So, I'm thinking that your Spanish lock is one of those patterns that indeed just pre-dates the final 1752 pattern. Which, of course, would make this lock rare. Nice find.

Rick

Of course, my use of the word "pirate" was in fun.

What an interesting form of raw material you made that barrel from. Wish I had that kind of talent. Turned out great. What caliber did you decide on ?

Rick
No need to use pirate as just "fun" it is a piece that realistically may have been a desirable pirate piece during/post gaop. Another interesting original I acquired on a trade while on the topic of queen annes is this one which I consider to be the queen anne perfected! Roller spring, cut away pan, safety (engages the frizzen locking it closed as well) screw octagon barrel ect.

Attachments

• MVC-003F.jpg
    MVC-003F.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0
No need to use pirate as just "fun" it is a piece that realistically may have been a desirable pirate piece during/post gaop. Another interesting original I acquired on a trade while on the topic of queen annes is this one which I consider to be the queen anne perfected! Roller spring, cut away pan, safety (engages the frizzen locking it closed as well) screw octagon barrel ect.
Agreed. I don't recall seeing a screw barrel pistol with a lock with that many late features. Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Blunderbuss, whether pistol or shoulder gun, have a romantic type of attraction for many of us. LOL

Rick

Last edited:
All Spanish were 'pirates' to the English as all English were 'pirates' to the Spanish....French, they were 'cannibals' and ate their captives!
And then of course everyone said Buccaneers were 'pirates' once they took to the sea and established the 'Brotherhood of the Coast'!

All Spanish were 'pirates' to the English as all English were 'pirates' to the Spanish....French, they were 'cannibals' and ate their captives!
And then of course everyone said Buccaneers were 'pirates' once they took to the sea and established the 'Brotherhood of the Coast'!
As my heritage is Portuguese and Dutch I feel left out lol.

As my heritage is Portuguese and Dutch I feel left out lol.
If I recall correctly, there were some Dutch on the Caribbean islands that were the original Buccaneers...
And how do you think my ancestors felt; many called themselves "Dutch" because they didn't think the stupid colonists would know where Germany was 🙄

Any chance of parting with one of those?
Hi Swab

Well, not yet. LOL I have a difficult time letting ANYTHING go. But I'm 73 now and have to start thinking about "thinning the herd" as they say. Eventually, I will have to sell off most of my collection (both guns and locks) and just keep what I want to shoot on a regular basis.
That said, I will let You know first for one or both of these locks. Here is the Thread I posted last year with reference to these locks if you would like to read about them.

Rick

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/portuguese-locks.145476/

Hi Swab

Well, not yet. LOL I have a difficult time letting ANYTHING go. But I'm 73 now and have to start thinking about "thinning the herd" as they say. Eventually, I will have to sell off most of my collection (both guns and locks) and just keep what I want to shoot on a regular basis.
That said, I will let You know first for one or both of these locks. Here is the Thread I posted last year with reference to these locks if you would like to read about them.

Rick

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/portuguese-locks.145476/
Don't sweat the lock. I was thinking about it for a personal project but will be working on it during the next month.
Queen Anne was 100 years dead when that pistol was made.

In regards to the queen Anne being post the reign of queen Anne that is absolutely correct. I follow the thought process of a QA being a type of pistol rather than a pistol made during her reign as all guns made during that reign regardless of design would be QA's. Typical features would be turn off barrel, lock plate integrated into the frame, and cock/frizzen on the side with the frizzen spring mounted aft of the frizzen. Pistols with these features were made by different nations before and after her reign spanning well over 100 years. If you have a better term to group pistols with these features I am all ears.

Hi Commodore

That looks like a really cool project. (Where did you get the barrel ?) Some notes for what it's worth......

As you alluded to, the Spanish military changed from using the miquelet lock to the French style of flintlock around 1750. Then, changed back to the miquelet lock about 1790 as they thought the miquelet lock was stronger. I don't see any issue with using the lock you intend to use. And the Spanish style hardware will look great.

Locks: The only Pre-1700 miquelet lock that I know of is a kit from TRS. (I used these for a pair of 1660's horse pistols I had made). Even original locks from this period are extremely difficult to find, as you mention.

Blunderbuss: The blunderbuss barrel (especially shoulder stock variety) remained popular in Spain all the way up through the 1850's - still being made in percussion. Seems they remained popular as personal protection weapons that could easily be hidden under a cloak.

Belt Hook: It seems the Spanish were especially fond of belt hooks. Even with the earliest pistols. In my 40+ years I've seen far more original Spanish pistols with belt hooks versus not. And most of the pistols that were missing a belt hook, you could see the retaining hole where the belt hook once existed.

This project should end up with a super looking "pirate" style pistol, per say. LOL Can't wait to see this one finished.

Rick
Some progress
Hi Commodore

That looks like a really cool project. (Where did you get the barrel ?) Some notes for what it's worth......

As you alluded to, the Spanish military changed from using the miquelet lock to the French style of flintlock around 1750. Then, changed back to the miquelet lock about 1790 as they thought the miquelet lock was stronger. I don't see any issue with using the lock you intend to use. And the Spanish style hardware will look great.

Locks: The only Pre-1700 miquelet lock that I know of is a kit from TRS. (I used these for a pair of 1660's horse pistols I had made). Even original locks from this period are extremely difficult to find, as you mention.

Blunderbuss: The blunderbuss barrel (especially shoulder stock variety) remained popular in Spain all the way up through the 1850's - still being made in percussion. Seems they remained popular as personal protection weapons that could easily be hidden under a cloak.

Belt Hook: It seems the Spanish were especially fond of belt hooks. Even with the earliest pistols. In my 40+ years I've seen far more original Spanish pistols with belt hooks versus not. And most of the pistols that were missing a belt hook, you could see the retaining hole where the belt hook once existed.

Rick
Progress
IMG_2023-11-22-19-13-19-695.jpg

Hi Swab

Ahhhh......progress. Looks great so far. The top jaw and screw on the cock give it that Spanish "flair" to match the other brass hardware. Very cool.
Hmmmm...do you think you will use a pin fastened barrel ? Or a barrel band ? The Spanish seemed to prefer barrel bands on their guns, even earlier examples. The only exception I've seen is the very earliest matchlock/wheellock period. They also seem to have had almost a fetish for belt hooks on their pistols.
But I can imagine this blunderbuss pistol with just a pin-fastened barrel and no belt hook.

Rick

Back