• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

blunderbuss loads?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quinnconner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am building a 4 bore blunderbuss.Does anyone here shoot a blunderbuss?What load do you use?What can I use for wads?or in place of a wad.
Thank you,
juniata jack

Cool! The 4 bore ball weighs 1,455 gr. on the scales. All others pale in comparrison.
: The flattened ball above the 4 bore ball was recovered from the 300 meter gravel & dirt backstop, some 334yds from the actual firing line, being behind the 300 meter target holders.
: The 3rd flattened ball was recovered from under the hide of a moose after breaking out a 6" piece of rib on one side of a moose, then boring a 5" hole thorugh the lungs, then smashing the off-side shoulder. The 1/2 ball above that is for the string-cut on the "Trail Walk" of the local club. I found, with the damp weather in the fall and spring, the .69 wouldn't cut the string, but would stretch it about 5" longer than preveiously, then flap itout of the way without breaking it. The 1/2 ball worked just fine & would actually cut a single hole for 5 shots out to 50 yds. even tough they'd vary quite a bit in weight.
: A "bunch" of .45 or .50 cal balls would make a fearsome load for the 4 bore blunderbuss. English pistol balls, a normal load for the large bored blunderbuss in those days, were usually .60 or larger.
: I would check out Track of the Wolf for wads. I do think they have them. If not, an Arch Punch in 1 1/8" would be perfect for you to cut your own wads from Dona Conna - the fibrous wall-board usually nailed to the outside of the framework of a house before finishing. You can buy it by the 8' sheet at building suppliers like Home Depot. A 3/4" arch punch will cut 12 bore or .75 wads for those with 12 bore shotguns. This is the same material that Track and other places sell for shotgun wads. A 5/8" arch punch will cut 20 bore wads of the same material. It's 1/2" thick.
: The short slug, pictured below the .735" ball, beside the 4 bore ball, is from a modern 12 bore shotgun slug load.
: The two under the .715 ball, are the 730gr..69 minnie and the hollow based 12 bore slug mould for the .69 rifle that I cut myself with an 11/16 drill with the nose ground round and re-sharpened.
:
Ball%20from4boreto140%20bore.JPG

Back