• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder people a few questions RE: flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the graph work Zonie! The notion that a barrel can only burn so much powder is an "old wives tale" I thought had been disproved many years ago but I still hear people repeating it. There probably is some point at which an increase in powder will produce a reduction in velocity but that point is way beyond what any sane person would consider loading.
In the first edition "Lyman BP Handbook" they ran increasing charges until they hit an arbitrary maximum pressure of 15,000 CUP. In .50 caliber that varied from 130 to 170 grains of 3f, depending on the individual barrel. Velocity continued to increase right up to the last increment of powder in every case and every barrel length from 26" to 43".
Now I an NOT suggesting any one should shoot or needs to shoot loads in excess of 100 grains in a .50 caliber rifle. I tend to think that 80 grains is plenty and there is not much to be gained by loading heavier. But that is just my personal opinion, the fact is that more powder will produce more energy. Whether or not it is needed is another debate entirely. :yakyak:

IMHO, all that is needed is an accurate load. Once those accurate loads are found, IMHO, there is no need to increase the powder charge above the optimum load.

There are usually, but not always, two accurate loadings for a give rifle; One for light target loads, and one for hunting weight loads. IMHO, that's all one needs.

God bless

I often wonder why these “myths” die such a lingering death. That is one reason I like to do much of my own testing. But I do suppose it may have to do with the fact most people will shoot a moderate load of 60 ”“ 80 grs more accurately than they would a 120 gr maxi load. Simply do to the higher recoil.

Dalton Wayne said:
I should say I'm not new to flintlocks just haven't had one for 30 years, A good friend now deceased Roy Keeler taught me everything but in the last 30 years I've forget most of what he taught me I have a musket but really like flintlocks and can't wait to get going again, not going to compete just have fun.
Regards
DW

There is a nice article on Roy Keeler in this months Michigan Woods-n-Water News,written by Dennis Neely.

If this is a just for fun gun, you absolutely do not need 120 grs !
If it's .50 cal ...
1) 60-70 grns 3f (generally) and use that 3f to prime with and you'll be just fine.
2) .490 -.495 ball
3) Work with differant patch material and thickness's to see what your gun likes.
4) Find the recipe for Swampy's Moose Milk & Snot, best stuff I have used.It's on here somewhere probaly find it with the search. Enjoy and welcome back :wink:

WOW 120grns.. I use 60 of 3f 490 20 patch.But try 2f your gun mite like it ,You really need To work up a load, I I have made over40 guns ( see contempory Long Rifle site) usually some where around 50, 60 gr 2 or 3f willget you started

Why that heavy a charge in a .50????? If you are looking for more penetration on big game, then buy a Conical Bullet gun and use them instead. Lyman has a mold for a good conical in .50 cal.

You could not pay me enough money to shoot a 120grn.3f load out of a 50cal.flintlock! :surrender:

Yea, I stuff 120 of 2f in my 58 cal, ouch might be the word of the day with 3f in a 50. Depends on the quality of rifle I guess.

armakiller said:
You could not pay me enough money to shoot a 120grn.3f load out of a 50cal.flintlock! :surrender:

I am with you armakiller. 100 grains of FFF is highest load recommended for a .50 caliber according to Pyrodex. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. The .54 caliber is supposed to handle 120 grains according to their website.

Back