• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder on smokeless ranges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why electrical gate now..

So someone can't take everything and run when your down range.. cameras to...

It s never happened on that club but that's the fear.

The public ranges near city or allot of trafic "anyone can go"... They try to get your stuff when your in a store...

Hunting too, you look the part... like I don't leave the car alone.. I ll park where I can see it if I have to..

Being in the middle of no where.

40 000 dollsr truck
10 000 atv
1500 gun
600 clothes
300 tree stand
Wallet?
The worst item alone with in the woods... A nice Buck! 🦌 🦌 🦌
Be careful.

Last edited:
Private club. Gate etc.. they can't get behind anything there not there. Only members

I’ve posted this before in the name of safety. Be very cautious when leaving the range and even being on the range, scumbags may follow you home to rob you later, they know you have guns. Happened to a friend years ago.
Yeah, don’t want to piss people off when everyone is armed!

I don’t frequent public ranges anymore. When I did I removed my license plates and locked them in the cab. People were seen taking pictures of vehicles from the side of the road. And there was always some random curious guy wandering around asking about the guns, but he never brought anything to shoot with. He got ran off fast. Be aware.

Years ago I had a older gentleman, about the age that I am now, who got fairly upset by my smoke. He'd grouse but never made an issue of it. Then they were a couple of guys who used to call me Doctor Smoke, jokingly as far as I could tell. I occasionally get a comment or two but nothing I interpret as being anything other than in fun. I figure any cloud on smoke I can produce is far less offensive than the semiautomatic basters ripping off magazines full of .223, 7.62X39, 9MM or whatever as fast as they can pull a triggers while sending brass all over the place.
We have those guys with the plastic black guns that blow through 300-400 rounds of 9mm in less than 20 minutes, I jokingly tell them they went through 300 rounds and I’m only on my 3rd cylinder lol.😉

I don’t frequent public ranges anymore. When I did I removed my license plates and locked them in the cab. People were seen taking pictures of vehicles from the side of the road. And there was always some random curious guy wandering around asking about the guns, but he never brought anything to shoot with. He got ran off fast. Be aware.
My club has several gates and a required safety orientation, service hours, and meetings to join, which is a good sign for security and general competence.

We have those guys with the plastic black guns that blow through 300-400 rounds of 9mm in less than 20 minutes, I jokingly tell them they went through 300 rounds and I’m only on my 3rd cylinder lol.😉
I was looking at m1 Garand and $1+ per round was a good sales pitch for muzzleloaders, instead!

Modern guns produce a large amount of gas too it just happens to be harder to see. Every gone downrange to check targets after someone has been shooting the used to be cheap commie ammo? Smells like cat piss.

More often than not I get a ton of questions, to the point where the range session is wasted on just a couple shots.
I do get some strange looks at the range on occasion, fair enough, some people don't get why I'd be into 250 year old tech when there's so many more convenient options. I didn't get it either until about a year and a half ago when I got the bug.

I just came from the indoor range here in town. I had to pick up an unmentionable I just bought. While there I spoke of shooting my muzzleloader there. I've shot them there before
The Kid running it told me I couldn't shoot black powder because so much of it doesn't burn and lays on the floor.
Rather than educate him, I said, oh OK, fine.
Like the song... people are STRANGE
I used to work in an indoor gun range and gun store. We cleaned the shooting range and replaced the air conditioning/gun smoke retainer filters once a week. You might not believe how dirty those filters can get. We banned black powder shooting at our range because black powder residue fouled the filters after a few hours. --- If an indoor range allows black powder shooting their maintenance, filter and labor costs goes up tremendously.

I used to work in an indoor gun range and gun store. We cleaned the shooting range and replaced the air conditioning/gun smoke retainer filters once a week. You might not believe how dirty those filters can get. We banned black powder shooting at our range because black powder residue fouled the filters after a few hours. --- If an indoor range allows black powder shooting their maintenance, filter and labor costs goes up tremendously.
I can imagine how dirty those filters can get. Main reason for blowing my nose after shooting a BP session.🤧

I’ve posted this before in the name of safety. Be very cautious when leaving the range and even being on the range, scumbags may follow you home to rob you later, they know you have guns. Happened to a friend years ago.
Our range is a mile back in the woods down a dirt road. I once was told by another older gentleman to be careful if I am there alone, as it is 'possible' to get robbed there although he couldnt offer any concrete evidence it has ever happened.
Now, I gotta think any fool that is stupid enough to try to rob someone at a pistol range has to be a really dim bulb. That said, when alone, I always keep one gun fully loaded at all times.

Back