• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder on smokeless ranges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took my flintlock to a range where everyone else was shooting only modern weapons ranging from AR15's to Glocks. I found a spot at the very far right, where the pan flash would not bother any shooter next to me. I did get lots of people coming up and asking all about it - how it worked, how I loaded it, etc. One guy even challenged me to a duel :)

Here in UK, I shoot my BP stuff where I want - on any of the club's three ranges. We don't seem to be troubled with the prima donna's and wannabe's that many of you mention, let alone officious RCO's shouting their collective heads off.

My club even has a day dedicated to BP, and nothing else.

I am aware of people who mention (not 'complain) about the smoke and smell of my (and wife's) BP shooting. But then my wife mentions how her insides are continuously hit by the wave of pressure released when the other people shoot their unmentionables. And I add that we have to duck the shells ejected from said weapons. We Don't Feel Bad At All!!!!!! And the RSOs support us because we behave, follow the rules and ask when we have questions.

That idiot was a little mixed up. Smokeless WILL and Does accumulate on a range, I doubt little or any will from a black powder gun unless some long gunner is way over packing his barrel.
Private gun club. for 55 years, current one 45 years, winter shooting at a Florida county owned range 20 years, never a problem with other shooters at either. Granted some may have just been too polite to complaint of smoke and/or smell. But as mentioned, one can’t always choose one’s shooting lane. In general I’m more concerned when shooting a brass thrower than black powder arm.

Last edited:
I just clean up after myself and set up so I'm downwind if everyone. Not everyone likes the smell of smoke.
Burning black powder, the smell is much more better than smokeless, IMHO.

Being a Range Safety Officer, I am one of a handful of BP shooters. All of the club members know me and accept and are curious about my flintlock rifles (guests mainly). I can't always get the last bench on the right end of the firing line. I will inform the shooters to my right side to expect hot gases to be coming their way. Most just stand back and watch the smoke and flames.

Are there courtesies you guys take while shooting muzzleloaders on primarily smokeless ranges, or other advice you would have? I tried to shoot far away from the other shooters and went when it was less busy. I did not grow up shooting, so am unfamiliar with less obvious range etiquette. Should I just go for it in the future and assume other shooters won’t be bothered?
I always like to have at least one gun that will shoot ragged hole groups at 50 or 100 yards, preferably a flintlock. Splash targets hits are easy to see at 100yards. Or one that will ring steel consistently at 200 or 300 yards, typically something shooting paper patched bullets. Hit a steel target with a 400 grain or so slug and it is obvious. For no other reason than because it’s fun.

Belong to a club where I guess most would call the range smokeless, though by what members shoot rather than a rule. Other than guests that come shoot with me, I am the only traditional muzzleloader shooter than I have seen at the range in over 15 years of membership. Never a problem, I just go about my business with no complaints, and occasionally get some questions. I don’t complain about members that show up with 30 or 40 shot clips and spray brass, or the ones that show up with something suitable for hunting T-Tex with a muzzle brake and a muzzle backwash than knocks over trash cans. Typically no one sets up so close to someone as to crowd them, no matter what they are shooting. Just common sense, not range specific etiquette.

This was years ago. I was shooting my .32 squirrel flintlock I built at the public range and a guy came running down to me and practically yelled "Where did you get that rifle" I replied, "I built it." He said, "No way, I have to have it." I said it's not for sale ." He insisted so I told him $1,500 (I wouldn't sell it for that now). He said, "Er, um, I'll have to think about that." He finally left me alone.

I recently took a matchlock of mine to my local gun club I just joined for some test shots. It is explicitly allowed but I felt a little self conscious due to the smoke and using a lit match and gunpowder.

Are there courtesies you guys take while shooting muzzleloaders on primarily smokeless ranges, or other advice you would have? I tried to shoot far away from the other shooters and went when it was less busy. I did not grow up shooting, so am unfamiliar with less obvious range etiquette. Should I just go for it in the future and assume other shooters won’t be bothered?
They won't be bothered.

But you don't get many shots between the ceased fire. Flag change.. then you can't touch anything. Gun safe. You don't get to shoot much I think

One or two people is good...

Even on the weekend the crowds shoot all there ammo quick.. there not there long.. just go back later.

Years ago Houston built a huge trap/skeet/clays/pistol and rifle (to 1000 meters) complex in hopes of hosting the Olympics. I shoot there on occasion. Caplock rifles draw attention and questions. Flintlocks draw a LOT of attention. Only problem I've ever had came from some moron who wanted to ask questions as I was loading and he was smoking a cigarette. I barked at him pretty hard to back off and then explained why. They still allow smoking on the firing line, but few shooters there use the holy black.

Sigh. They walk amongst us. 🤬
My club, mostly from complaints of a black powder shooter, banned tobacco smoking on the firing line.
I found it a little odd however as we create more flame and smoke than any cigarette smoker and the firing stations are close together. Points out the necessity of keeping powder and caps covered while firing.

I am blessed I guess. Public state owned range and everyone is real polite and nice and all are cognizant of everyone’s safety. I am the only BP guy when i go.
My biggest problem is being interrupted and remembering if i loaded powder in a chamber cause they all want to see and inquire about my revolvers.
One time I had a 9mm guy’s wife shoot my Navy while they were checking it out. I let her shoot all 6. Made her day. He told her hubby she wanted one.

Burning black powder, the smell is much more better than smokeless, IMHO.

Being a Range Safety Officer, I am one of a handful of BP shooters. All of the club members know me and accept and are curious about my flintlock rifles (guests mainly). I can't always get the last bench on the right end of the firing line. I will inform the shooters to my right side to expect hot gases to be coming their way. Most just stand back and watch the smoke and flames.
I totally agree, the uninitiated sometimes don't like it (aka my wife when I'm cleaning in the garage) lol. Sulfur is perfume to us, to others it just smells like really bad eggs.

Not a problem at my gun club. I usually get a small audience watching me shoot and asking questions. We have big wall mounted fans behind us so I turn those on to blow the smoke away but nobody complains.
A couple of the RSOs there say they love it when my Dragoon goes off and the office windows rattle and the smoke cloud forms lol. One of the RSOs was so interested that I let him shoot my Rogers and Spencer loaded up with 40 grains of Schuetzen, kaboom and lots of smoke !! Last week he was watching some type of antique gun show where the Rogers and Spencer was shown. He says he got really excited cause it was the same type of gun he had shot a week before. 😉

Last edited:
I live in Southwest Florida and am always encouraged to take the UPWIND booth!!! It clears the mosquitos for the rest of the shooters!!! They love it and one guy started singing the Ain’t No Bugs on Me song once!!!

Years ago I had a older gentleman, about the age that I am now, who got fairly upset by my smoke. He'd grouse but never made an issue of it. Then they were a couple of guys who used to call me Doctor Smoke, jokingly as far as I could tell. I occasionally get a comment or two but nothing I interpret as being anything other than in fun. I figure any cloud on smoke I can produce is far less offensive than the semiautomatic basters ripping off magazines full of .223, 7.62X39, 9MM or whatever as fast as they can pull a triggers while sending brass all over the place.

Back