• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Bear Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rr11

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to set up a trip in 2012 - 6 hunters. We were unhappy with last trip. Any one happy with their outfitter?

Long way for you but all the guys I know from here go to a small guide service in New Brunswick. Most are bow hunters and most see and pass up a lot of bear, everyone has taken their share of 200 lbers and all seem to be waiting on the 300 and up bears.

Swampy, the last hunt was in N.B loved the area. The problem was lack of support/customer service during the hunt. Of the six hunters 2 killed bears we recovered the bears our selves. Not the guide. The so called guide stated on onethat " the shot sounded like a miss to him"? Baits being worked by sows with cubs, sorry bad luck must keep other baits for next hunters ect. We know no sure hunt,but want fair return for money paid.

rr11 said:
Swampy, the last hunt was in N.B loved the area. The problem was lack of support/customer service during the hunt. Of the six hunters 2 killed bears we recovered the bears our selves. Not the guide. The so called guide stated on onethat " the shot sounded like a miss to him"? Baits being worked by sows with cubs, sorry bad luck must keep other baits for next hunters ect. We know no sure hunt,but want fair return for money paid.

Wow, that sure isn't my Uncles guide. They are told to stay put and not move until the guide comes, he recovers the bear with you. They also do what it takes to get you in a good stand.

The one evening we spent with the outfitter was good. Then he left and turned us over to his guide. One of our party killed a bear walking in to his stand on day two. My stand was being worked by a sow and two cubs. after 3 days of them laying around the bait I requested a change of stand,was told the unused stands were to be used by other hunters later in the seasion. The other man that killed a bear shot it on day 3 the guide said the shot sounded like a miss and did not try to track the bear. The next morning we found the bear 75 yards back in the woods on the trail. To say the that we were unhappy is a understatment. Trying to get some one who has used the outfitter / guide befor we send money this time.

rr11 said:
The one evening we spent with the outfitter was good. Then he left and turned us over to his guide. One of our party killed a bear walking in to his stand on day two. My stand was being worked by a sow and two cubs. after 3 days of them laying around the bait I requested a change of stand,was told the unused stands were to be used by other hunters later in the seasion. The other man that killed a bear shot it on day 3 the guide said the shot sounded like a miss and did not try to track the bear. The next morning we found the bear 75 yards back in the woods on the trail. To say the that we were unhappy is a understatment. Trying to get some one who has used the outfitter / guide befor we send money this time.

Yeah your definitely going to the wrong place, this guide service would have put you on a different stand for sure, it's a very small outfit and they work hard to make sure the hunters are happy. Last I knew the price was reasonable too. Most of this States bow hunters who belong to UBRI go to this place, so it's not a place with a bad rep by far. I built and made my Uncle take one with a flinter because it's something I'd love to do but am unable to.

If you will give me the name or a link I will check them out. As I said we just want a fair return for our money.

The average Idaho bear was 150 pounds. I don't know how much money I would throw at a non-resident bear in Idaho.
I would look at BC or POW island in alaska. Ron

Check out Rock ridge outfitters. In Canada. Went there this Nov.They cater to the hunter. Nine of us Killed big bucks. They have a spring bear season.

I hunted with RockRidge some time ago with a bow when they were called Carrot River Outfitters. Took a nice fall bear three days after the hunt was due to end, the same one I missed a shot at earlier in week. Very very nice people, plenty of bears and cheap. Gave me three extra days free when I failed to put one on the ground. They are in northern Saskatchewan. They invited me back for a free whitetail hunt a month later as I was visiting from Australia. With the exchange rate at the time that was a $7000 hunt. Like I said, very very nice people.

Would love to do that but a $7000 hunt! I would have to find a new home when the wife found I spent that much :(. Thanks for the info.

Kapow said:
I hunted with RockRidge some time ago with a bow when they were called Carrot River Outfitters. Took a nice fall bear three days after the hunt was due to end, the same one I missed a shot at earlier in week. Very very nice people, plenty of bears and cheap. Gave me three extra days free when I failed to put one on the ground. They are in northern Saskatchewan. They invited me back for a free whitetail hunt a month later as I was visiting from Australia. With the exchange rate at the time that was a $7000 hunt. Like I said, very very nice people.

Sorry man $7000 ain't cheap. I suspect you mean $700.00. I'm not sure but I don't think my Uncle even pays that. Actually I should say partners. Last I knew he hunts for free due to storing and trailering donuts upnthere two or three times a year.

Have you ever thought about a spot and stalk hunt? I have never once hunted bears out of trees. All I do is spot an stalk and THAT is some fun stuff~! Try a Spring bear hunt in Montana. Its awesome and it doesn't get into your fall hunting. OR, you can hunt Fall bears. The choices are endless in Montana. Big bears too.

HH

Read the post again. The whitetail hunt was $7000 Australian at the time. The exchange rate went down to below 50cents US that year which really put the presure on to get it done. The bear hunt from memory was $1800US. They were building an awesome lodge at the time and Kent really knew his bears, tweaking the baits just right as their diets changed. Sorry for the mixup. Have a look below.
http://rockridgeoutfitting.com/bear.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to me like they do it right. Wish I could afford it! :cursing:
Dusty :wink:

Latest posts

Back