• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bison Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Making some progress on this bison horn. I smoothed it and I'm working on the spout now. Still quite a way to go.

20231209_130055.jpg

I worked many hours on one and suddenly it broke through. Most of the horn had a double wall. Had to take it off and it was start over time! 😞
I have the other one in case that happens. I'm leery of cutting through, also. I have a cow horn around here somewhere that has a cut just a little too deep. Saved it incase I want to make a spoon or something.

I also am working on one and it brings frustration to a whole new level. I have made one for each of my children and one for myself then I decided to make the one for my youngest and make it out of buff, words cannot describe my frustration in working this one I haven't found a way to hold it solid to work on it it's been in progress for 8 years now. I just turned 69 I suppose I better get to it

I also am working on one and it brings frustration to a whole new level. I have made one for each of my children and one for myself then I decided to make the one for my youngest and make it out of buff, words cannot describe my frustration in working this one I haven't found a way to hold it solid to work on it it's been in progress for 8 years now. I just turned 69 I suppose I better get to it
I'm the same age. I hold the horn against my thigh to work on it.

I'm working through how to smooth the flats. I think fine sandpaper glued to a popsicle stick will be the best way to keep the corners sharp.

I like working with bison, it seems a bit more forgiving than cow... Cow horns usually seem to be polished within an inch of their lives and mistakes are more obvious (at least mine are) though my horns don't have any real decoration on them other than a notch for the plug cordage and strap attachment... I like your idea about the sandpaper /popsicle stick, should work well... Looking good, can't wait to see the finished product...

20230624_141504.jpg

For whatever it may be worth, I've found that a couple of small sandbags are very handy when I'm working on a horn. They will stabilize the odd shapes while sanding and shaping. I use a piece of old belt leather to form a loop that will hold the spout end while I'm working on the big end. I put the leather loop ends in my bench vise with a flat section of sandbag spread over the vise jaws to protect the horn surface, and use another sandbag to wedge the horn in place or just hold it with one hand. Works better for me than holding it against my leg or some other part of my anatomy, and if a file or rasp slips it saves on antiseptic and band-aids too. I make the sandbags from old cut-off bluejean legs. Sew one end (double stitch) shut, fill it to the desired level and tie the open end shut with strong cord or sinew. Also, instead of sticking sandpaper to popsicle sticks I use the same kind of "emery board" that my wife uses to shape her nails. They come in packages of ten or more and have coarse emery on one side and fine on the other and are less expensive than buying craft sticks and sandpaper and cutting and glueing them together. Works for me.

View attachment 275638

Getting closer. I need to buy some 3000 grit paper tomorrow. Then start on the plug.

I didn't bother gluing the 2000 grit to anything, just did it free hand.
I haven’t tried it yet but I thought about using paint stirring paddles. You could split them to whatever size you needed and you could put a point on them if need be.

For whatever it may be worth, I've found that a couple of small sandbags are very handy when I'm working on a horn. They will stabilize the odd shapes while sanding and shaping. I use a piece of old belt leather to form a loop that will hold the spout end while I'm working on the big end. I put the leather loop ends in my bench vise with a flat section of sandbag spread over the vise jaws to protect the horn surface, and use another sandbag to wedge the horn in place or just hold it with one hand. Works better for me than holding it against my leg or some other part of my anatomy, and if a file or rasp slips it saves on antiseptic and band-aids too. I make the sandbags from old cut-off bluejean legs. Sew one end (double stitch) shut, fill it to the desired level and tie the open end shut with strong cord or sinew. Also, instead of sticking sandpaper to popsicle sticks I use the same kind of "emery board" that my wife uses to shape her nails. They come in packages of ten or more and have coarse emery on one side and fine on the other and are less expensive than buying craft sticks and sandpaper and cutting and glueing them together. Works for me.
Great ideas!

Latest posts

Back