• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big Hogs with Roundballs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob J

62 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the opinion of those who have taken 200+ pound hogs with roundballs regarding minimum caliber/load? Yes, I know a well-placed .22 (.36, .40, or whatever) will work, but when you are hunting on foot by yourself, what would be RECOMMENDED? I am currently using a .54 with 85 grains 2f, but haven't taken one yet.

I think a .54 with 85grns is plenty for any size hog, folks out west use what you have to hunt elk and they are a whole lot bigger than any hog you will see.

I took a 200 pound boar last year with a 54 cal pedersoli pistol and a roundball. I used 60 grains of goex FFF. I had a complete pass through, now granted I had stalked to within 12 yards for the shot :wink: .

DSCN0117.jpg

This boar only went 15 yards and fell. I have also taken a very large hog(500+ pounds) with a single 54 cal 435 grain maxi ball out of a T/C 54 hawken. Shot placement is everything, but the 54 does very well from my experience.

Dixie Flinter said:
What is the opinion of those who have taken 200+ pound hogs with roundballs regarding minimum caliber/load? Yes, I know a well-placed .22 (.36, .40, or whatever) will work, but when you are hunting on foot by yourself, what would be RECOMMENDED? I am currently using a .54 with 85 grains 2f, but haven't taken one yet.

I think you are dead on... My load is a .535 ball, .015 patch, and 90 grains of FFg... kilt deer, elk, and a buffalo with that. Ought to kill a pig!

What a great boar hunt, silent sniper! And with a pistol, too...well that is ample proof that a roundball will do the job with proper placement :hatsoff:

armakiller and wattsy - what works for elk should work for hogs...thanks :thumbsup:

Nice shot! You're absolutely right about shot placement. Pick a reasonable sized caliber and save the obsession and worry on stalking close and making good shot placement! :thumbsup:

12 yards? with a single shot pistol? HOLY manure you have some guts! I could see like 100 yards away with a 54 long rifle. NO WAY would you see this guy get 12 yrds away, from a wild boar, with only one shot! I can't run THAT fast anymore..LOL! GOOD JOB though!.. :bow:
BTW, 85 grains with a 54 cal is PLENTY for wild hog. I shot one in S. Ohio about 10 yrs ago with a similair load.. but it was a 50 cal.

As a self proclaimed Master Hogger I have hunted with a near same combo with no issues and shot some in the 300 lb range with no issue all under 50 yards though.

2 Tall - in your experience, did you prefer neck or behind-the-shoulder shot placement?

Maybe not quite 200lbs but this is the biggest pig I've taken with a R/ball. The .62cal ball split in two. Half exited the sow and half ended up in the opposite rib cage. She ran about 5 yards without a heart.

Your rifle and load will do just fine. GW

RunaroundSue8.jpg

Well that depends on your shoowing ability and how close you are. I typically always shoot for the vital tight beind the shoulder if at all possible. If you can shoot well and get around 25 yards I have taken below the ear shots and thats a dead pig even with a 22lr and waste no meat. But it is a risky shot if your not confident. Some of my buddies like the neck shot but I am not a fan the neck on a big hog is tough and then you need to hit the juggular, spine, or wind pipe to kill it, to me its no a high percentage shot my friend. Rule on hogs close frontal shot in the fatal-t beteen the eyes or a touch lower, behind brain stem, sideways below the ear is upclose or the vitals. Quartering too better go with a head shot at the fatal-t, or below the ear, a prb will likely not break through the shoulder and do enough damage to be a humane kill. Any thing quartering away couple inches behind the shoulder. The trick is wild hogs can smell great but their eye sight sucks, so if your stalking or busting brush be slow and quiet and you can walk right up on them with the wind in your face, and you can hear and smell them long before you see them. If hunting over bait they will 98% of the time all face in towards the bait in a circle and makes it easier to slip into them if your not sitting and still hunting to bait sites to check. Just be very selective on your shots and the load you discribed will work well. If the pig runs off watch where it does bigger hogs the holes are easily plugged by the body fat and makes really crappy blood trails. But almost all die within 50 yards at the most. Hope this helps

Sounds like our plan to set up a feeder and slow-stalk in at first bit of daylight should work. Will definitely pay more attention to the wind direction. Thanks, 2 Tall, your advice is very helpful!

Say, Grey Whiskers, is that Runaround Sue? Congrats on a nice hog with the flinter :hatsoff:

That is the first round ball I have heard of splitting. Do you have any ideah why? Geo. T.

Yeah, I was lucky enuf to use Runaround Sue for this pig.

The cast r/balls came with the rifle. Here's pics of the ball and the exit wound. The ball is split almost in the middle.

62ball001.jpg

RunaroundSue14.jpg

Back