• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beware GunBroker Sales

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This works for me when I am looking for out of print books on Abebooks.com. I tried it on Gun Broker and it has worked there as well:

Reach out to the seller off-line and work out a deal. Many of them don't like the new system either. If it is a buy it now or make an offer, the most they can tell you is no. I have even purchased a couple books and unmentionables for less than the selling price. One example is a Ruger Old Army I bought a while back. I looked up the gun shop and called them. Asked about the revolver and got more information about condition, etc. I asked if they would end the auction and accept an offer?

They did, and I got it for less than the minimum bid.

A sale is a sale. You don't know until you ask.

Last edited:
The last invoice I got from my last transaction did not break out the taxes I pay from the fee they charge. Im my opinion why should I pay a fee to GB to buy something. I dont do that at a gun store. Most of the prices on GB anymore are inflated above and beyond what I can buy one for locally.
Don't know what to tell you guys.
I make 2 copies of the invoice, send one save one.
The 1% fee I questioned several times to GB. They said it was to recover local state expenses.

Inflated prices, yea I see some that are up. I have a 1911 listed, some are listed lower. You have to look around.
Every 3rd message is one to ask me to sell for less or how they can get price reduced.
All the while I'm not even close to MSRP nor a good 30-35% over wholesale to cover cost & profit.
If you guys saw the wholesale cost on sporting goods box store or auto parts vs mark up .
You'd be really upset.

Just wait until 7/1/24, Commifornia is charging 18.5% tax on all guns, ammo in addition to site fees charged. CA is toxic, courtesy of the scum and AG bonta.
Scum soon to be president
Pending bill here in Colo. would do similar - not sure of outcome. As of last week bill was still in motion, but legislative session ends today, May 8.

After decades on gunbroker I am leaving. Its become too expensive and too hard at my age. As the family estate administrator i have the contents of 4 collections from deceased relatives to deal plus my own. Have already started posting on forums and have long lists available by PM.

I was not made aware of a checkout system and dealt directly with the buyer as I have done many times before. If GB was supposed to collect the tax from the buyer it did not.
The buyer on Gunbroker pays the tax to the seller and Gunbroker collects the tax from the seller. GunBroker has been doing this for a couple of years. It is posted on their website for everyone to see. They posted that they would have to be doing this months before they started to collect tax for certain states. Whatever way the seller chooses to receive payment the tax should be factored in and if you are from a state that taxes are collected for the seller will have to pay. GunBroker has no choice. The states that are demanding taxes be paid are calling the shots. Same way with Ebay and many other sites.

GunBroker has added on fees for the seller. Many of the sellers are adding these fees into the buyers final cost which includes tax for those buyers from applicable states. Buyers have to be aware of this and watch out for sellers who don't list specific shipping costs. Many add the sellers fees into the buyers final cost to decrease their costs and increase the profit on each sale. Buyer beware.

Last edited:
I use to buy from Gun Broker but not anymore. They can't keep it simple and prices the dealers and folks want for their product are way too high for the most part. I can go to my local gun store and be treated fairly on every purchase and walk out with it that day. If there is a problem the folks at the store takes care of it.

I pass on to the buyer the sales tax on the invoice. I pay the listing fees of course
Not sure what you mean here. You dont pass on anything. As a seller, you automatically collect whatever tax the buyers state has, and is shown on the invoice, and then later GB takes it back from you thru your CC to forward it to that state, its not optional.
The seller is not part of the decision making, he just collets the money, part of which is the buyers taxes.

I stopped selling on Gunbroker after the Georgia Secretary of State's office charged my credit card $350 for a "Corporate Fee" or something like that. Someone at Gunbroker had to be in on it for the Georgia Secretary of State's office to have my CC information. The number on my CC statement was the office of the Secretary of State. I called and left messages as nobody would answer. I called my CC company and they refunded my money.

One word CORRUPTION

A recent purchase of an unmentionable on GB got around all of this. It was NOT an auction listing but a buy it now price. I emailed the seller to ask a question about his description (he had listed as new but it had already been transferred to someone so I corrected him that it should have been listed as "used, believed to be un-fired". He also suggested that if I was interested that we talk. I ran his information, found that he has a nice web site about his business etc. so I found him to be an actual trustworthy seller with all positive reviews on GB. He stopped the listing. I made an offer that he accepted immediately. I sent him USPS MO and had my transfer dealer contact him to provide necessary paperwork. Gun showed up, great buy on the gun. No Sales Tax! None paid by me, none charged to him as listing was canceled. I haven't sold on GB in years so not sure what listing charges are these days but that was all he paid.
I have had to change transfer agents as the one that I have used for over 10 years has raised his prices several times in the past two years. Now almost 50% higher than others in the area. Add to new "fee" to complete a background check here in NY and it makes it just outrageous. And of course the "fee" here in NY is just so they can violate Federal Law and create a registry of all the items everyone is buying including black powder firearms as the most recent law has changed to now require that they go through a dealer here.
Did I get that right in ny you have to transfer a BP item? God i hate this state!

One word CORRUPTION
I just posted a Enfield there today I tried last week but they required me to verify my account with a checking account number I did that got verified. I have sold but mostly bought nothing in years was surprised about the verification but I get it they want to make sure they get their share but the fee you got hit with is ridiculous I’m going to cancel the listing it’s not worth the trouble . You have no way of knowing until after they screw you.

Not sure what you mean here. You dont pass on anything. As a seller, you automatically collect whatever tax the buyers state has, and is shown on the invoice, and then later GB takes it back from you thru your CC to forward it to that state, its not optional.
The seller is not part of the decision making, he just collets the money, part of which is the buyers taxes.
Can you add anything about the corporate fee he was charged?

The last invoice I got from my last transaction did not break out the taxes I pay from the fee they charge. Im my opinion why should I pay a fee to GB to buy something. I dont do that at a gun store. Most of the prices on GB anymore are inflated above and beyond what I can buy one for locally.
To buy something you paid a fee? Every thing is out of control good grief

To buy something you paid a fee? Every thing is out of control good grief
The fee is lumped in with the taxes they charge you for the purchase. But they dont break it out so you can see the actual tax they are charging you so you can make sure there charge is right. So you dont know the tax amount or the fee amount.

The fee is lumped in with the taxes they charge you for the purchase. But they dont break it out so you can see the actual tax they are charging you so you can make sure there charge is right. So you dont know the tax amount or the fee amount.
I have the account a while and it used to be easy for the most part. It’s not that I’m older but I struggle to read stuff because I still have brain fog from covid 3 years now. Just entering all the fields is a PIA And then they offer html give me a break that is not necessary adds time and cost. All I want to do is place an add. 😂

Back