• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best sights for low light situations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a TC Hawken 50 cal that is set up just for hunting with a peep sight and TC fiber optic front sight. I always keep the hunting appture (larger dia hole) in the patch box. The smaller dia appture is only used for target work. By keeping the big on in the patch box I never have to worry about getting caught out in the woods with the wrong appture in the rear sight. Plus that way I can find the target one when I need it at the range, they both stay with the gun at all times.

I have always used a thin, silver, front blade, and in low light it works quite well for me, both in early morning and at dusk. I found the silver reflects just enough light to stand out and I can see it. Blackened sights always disappeared on me.

LD

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, I file the back of my silver sight blade to a 45 degree angle, then polish...By doing so, it points to the sky and actually picks up whatever light is up there...Most of my flintlock hunting is done in the deep woods and I only loose about 15 minutes of shooting light vs a scope...

Done properly, you can also use the bottom of the angled sight for longer range shooting...

Rifleman,
Could you elaborate on where to order a sight like yours?Looked thru several ML catalogs and can't seem to find one similar.

BrownBear said:
hanshi said:
...and doesn't "glare" in sunlight.
Haven't seen it done, but I kinda want to try a copper front sight. If it oxidizes green quickly in our salt air, that might even be a good thing.

Anyone have experience with copper sights?

By coincedence my Brooks fowler has a copper front sight.

I never look at it. ;-)

DSCN0112.jpg

Back