• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA.1740

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the best non black powder to use in a 50 cal. rifle :idunno: and are the charges the same I use 70gr.of 2f. now.
Have Fun
Phil

If black powder isn't readily available, I know from my own experience that Pyrodex RS is designed to have the same energy as Goex 2F and load the same way.
IE: If you use a 70grn powder measure of Goex 2F, then just use the same 70grn powder measure of Pyrodex RS.
I'd still check POI at the range before committing to a hunting trip or something.

Hodgdon's website will explain it...and Hodgdon now owns both Pyrodex and Goex.

If it's a flint gun only real BP will work. I have used the subs in cap guns with unimpressive results.

I would use 2f Triple 7 if I couldn't get real BP and reduce the charge by 15%, so in your case 60 grains. If accuracy isn't as good then increase by 5 grains and see how that shoots, not to exceed maximum.

Mike Brooks said:
I have used the subs in cap guns with unimpressive results.
:rotf: :rotf:
Finigan begin again,, :haha:

This is what Phil asked.

PA.1740 said:
What is the best non black powder to use in a 50 cal. rifle

And Thank you bull for adding the 2F part, I forgot.

Pyrodex RS or P.
The other more costly subs offer no real advantage over Pyrodex. :thumbsup:

PA.1740 said:
What is the best non black powder to use in a 50 cal. rifle :idunno: and are the charges the same I use 70gr.of 2f. now.
Have Fun
Phil
There is no "best" substitute for BP.
You are better off shooting real blackpowder.
ALL the substitutes are either excessively corrosive (compared to BP), too hot for side locks being designed for inlines with primer ignition or are unreliable once the container is opened.

The best powder to use is Swiss.
Schutzen is next.
Current production Goex is good powder.

The Chinese made stuff and the "re-enactor" grade powders are all pretty useless unless shooting blanks.

Dan

Mike Brooks said:
If it's a flint gun only real BP will work. I have used the subs in cap guns with unimpressive results.

I have only tried one and I have been impressed alright. But not the way some here might think. So impressed in fact, from doing testing for a company I worked for, that I never used it in my guns.
Subsequent examination of other peoples guns and reports from others has convinced me this was a wise decision.

Dan

Love to use BP but try finding it in N.Y.
I live close to rt84 was thinking about taking a trip to PA. see what I can find :idunno: they just make it so hard.
Have Fun
Phil

Its not just in NY that its hard to find. I order mine from Powder Inc. You can order as little as a 5 lb lot from them. And it will sill be cheaper than buying a single lb from a gunshop. And dont worry unlike the substitutes black powder has a shelf life longer than you can imagine if stored properly. There really is no comparison. Order some . You wont be sorry.

Go on their web site and check out their prices. You have to fax them some info before they will ship. But after you order it will,be delivered to your door. There is also Main Powder House , Grafs, Track of the Wolf and others who will ship black powder. But iam not sure if they will ship in lots as small as 5 lbs if thats all you want like Powder Inc.

THANKS!!!!
Went on site looks real good to me :hatsoff: THANK YOU !!
Have Fun
Phil

I was thinking "best non black powder" is quite an oxymoron!

Glad you found a source to order it from, but if you do ever want to come down to PA, you can find black powder (and a whole lot more) at Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop. It's close to Cabela's in Hamburg (and a lot of members here like to include a stop at Deitrich's Meats too). Might make a nice day trip for you.

There is no "best"substitute for real black powder!!!!!!! Pyrodex destroyed my GPR barrel!!! That barrel was thououghly cleaned immediatly after every shooting and again the day after. It didn't matter the Pyrodex got it rusting and pitting and I just replaced the barrel to the tune of $260.00. Use the real stuff or go CF!! YOu can buy from Powder Inc. in lots as small as 5# and its a totally hassle free deal. FRJ

You could try the Maine Powder Hose, if you are looking for a source close to NY.

Back