• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best powder charge for Traditions Kentucky .50 cal percussion pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I did try using the search function first (admins, honestly, the search function here leaves something to be desired) but since the Traditions instruction manual gives no guidance on powder charge, what should I use, assuming it's Pyrodex I'm using, for my Traditions Kentucky .50 cal percussion pistol firing round lead ball? Thanks much ....

OR you could use science....

In the stickys is the Davenport Formula.

It will tell you the MAX amount of powder that will burn in your barrel.

Then you work backwards to find the best group.

The Davenport example is 50 cal, so its real easy to use.

That is a load that should work very well for you in most instances. For defense or hunting I would add some powder. For defense I would go minimum 40g and 50 or 60 wouldn't be out of line if your life depended on it. For hunting your 25 g should work well on anything up thru coons and such at close range. for anything bigger 40g minimum and also at close range. The main point is to have fun and smile at that big cloud of white smoke.

I'm sorry, I'm a newbie here, so I apologize in advance to the die hards, but honestly, the thought of carrying any kind of a single shot weapon as a personal self defense weapon strikes me as ludicrous.

I don't hunt, so for me, shooting a muzzleloader is for 1) fun, 2) learning, 3) honoring history.

if you just want to have accurate fun 25g will give you lots of shots per pound and still plenty of bang. you should try a few heavy loads up to 40g or so just for giggles but stick to your standard load for every day plinking.

@wiscoaster

It's right here on page 48 of the standard Tradtions manual-

20 to 45 grns FFFg for a 50cal
Thank you. I have the manual that came with the pistol, and that's what I'm going by. It should be noted the numbers you cited are somewhat misleading, as you're missing the column heading. The manual states 20 - 25 grains for "most accurate" and 45 grains for "maximum".

manual.png

As I use such charts, I interpret "maximum" to mean "maximum safe", and if I can achieve the results I want with less than "maximum safe", then that's what I'll go with. Just the way I do things. Everyone is free to do it their own way.

Thanks anyway.

Thank you. I have the manual that came with the pistol, and that's what I'm going by. It should be noted the numbers you cited are somewhat misleading, as you're missing the column heading. The manual states 20 - 25 grains for "most accurate" and 45 grains for "maximum".

View attachment 239299

As I use such charts, I interpret "maximum" to mean "maximum safe", and if I can achieve the results I want with less than "maximum safe", then that's what I'll go with. Just the way I do things. Everyone is free to do it their own way.

Thanks anyway.
Huh? The manual says 20 to 45 grs FFFg. So that's what you use. It takes a number of grains to fill Ardesa's version of a patent breech. Apparently it's somewhere near 20 grns. You then can go up to 45grns. You pick the load that is most accurate for your needs between the minimum and maximum recommended by the manufacturer. Yup you do things "your way", I'm sorry I tried to help.

Huh? The manual says 20 to 45 grs FFFg. ...
No, the manual says 20-25 for "most accurate" and the manual says 45 for "maximum". It does not say "20 to 45" as you posted. Which a casual reader of your post would likely interpret as a "standard" load. Read it yourself. I posted a screenshot of the manual that you linked. Help is one thing, but when that help might mislead others that read it, I'm going to call it as I see it. No accusation of your intent was intended. I suppose you just weren't reading the manual closely enough. We all do that from time to time. Self included. Sorry you were offended by the correction. Please don't hesitate to help in the future.

Last edited:
No, the manual says 20-25 for "most accurate" and the manual says 45 for "maximum". Read it yourself. I posted a screenshot of the manual that you linked. Help is one thing, but when that help might mislead others that read it, I'm going to call it as I see it. No accusation of your intent was intended. I suppose you just weren't reading the manual closely enough. We all do that from time to time. Self included. Sorry you were offended by the correction. Please don't hesitate to help in the future.
You are being put on IGNORE. You refuse help at every turn. YOU asked what load to shoot in your Tradtions Kentucky Pistol. YOU claimed the manual provided was of no help. I posted a link to the Traditions manual that says for the last FREAKING time 20 to 45 grains of FFFg powder. If YOU can't figure that out, the problem is YOU. Just like that Kibler build 'log' you started. YOU REFUSE any any help along the way. Insisting on doing it YOUR way. Well son, you will end up with a poor quality longrifle at no fault of Kibler simply cause YOU refuse to listen. I've never put anyone on ignore before on ANY forum, but I'm tired of seeing the drama YOU create. If you can't read the manual FROM TRADITIONS I posted then it's your problem. Good day sir!

No, the manual says 20-25 for "most accurate" and the manual says 45 for "maximum". It does not say "20 to 45" as you posted. Which a casual reader of your post would likely interpret as a "standard" load. Read it yourself. I posted a screenshot of the manual that you linked. Help is one thing, but when that help might mislead others that read it, I'm going to call it as I see it. No accusation of your intent was intended. I suppose you just weren't reading the manual closely enough. We all do that from time to time. Self included. Sorry you were offended by the correction. Please don't hesitate to help in the future.
If it say 20 grains at the low end and 45 grains at the high end, then its safe, standard, load range is 20 to 45 grains.

"Most Accurate" doesn't figure into it in any way shape or form.

As some rifles may perform better at 26, 27, 28, 35, 40 grains etc.

In fact, stating 20 to 25 grains is the Most Accurate load is the most stupid thing I've ever seen a manual. It assumes that every barrel is exactly the same. When every single barrel is different. With different sweet spots.

Last edited:
You are being put on IGNORE. You refuse help at every turn. YOU asked what load to shoot in your Tradtions Kentucky Pistol. YOU claimed the manual provided was of no help. I posted a link to the Traditions manual that says for the last FREAKING time 20 to 45 grains of FFFg powder. If YOU can't figure that out, the problem is YOU. Just like that Kibler build 'log' you started. YOU REFUSE any any help along the way. Insisting on doing it YOUR way. Well son, you will end up with a poor quality longrifle at no fault of Kibler simply cause YOU refuse to listen. I've never put anyone on ignore before on ANY forum, but I'm tired of seeing the drama YOU create. If you can't read the manual FROM TRADITIONS I posted then it's your problem. Good day sir!

Ah ... now we see the real reason why you posted. ( I thought it rather odd to get a new reply to such an old thread). OK, then. Good day to you also, sir.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back