• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

best place to buy porcupine quills

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevythunderman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife is starting to do quill work and we are looking for a good source of dyed porcupine quills. We bought our last batch from crazy crow and there wasn't many usable quills in a bag. Out of 1000 quills there was maybe 100 quills that were usable. Or where do all you folks that do quill work get your quills from? Or do you just buy natural quills and dye them your self?

Your best bet is to find quills on-the-hoof (Porcupine), as commercial places appear to strip and mix quills from all parts of the Porcupine and many are too large (or small) for use. I'd also suggest finding undyed quills, as they are very easy to dye with Rit, and it avoids the extra cost.

As to a good source, can't really help - the one Porcupine that crossed my path has provided a lifetime supply for my quillwork needs...

I wash the quills in a little dishsoap and water to remove the oils (and place on paper towels to dry if not proceeding to dye or if natural-colored quills are desired). I gently simmer the quills in Rit dye (with salt added) until they are the shade I want, collect the quills in a strainer, rinse until the water runs clear and allow to dry on paper towels.

The advantage of dying with Rit vs purchased dyed quills is that the dye colors can be blended to achieve the desired shade. The colors on many commercially-dyed quills are too modern for my tastes. As an example - the red is too red (cherry Koolaid color), but if you mix some scarlet or crimson with some black/brown and maybe a little yellow, a more natural shade is achieved. Traditional colors oftentimes are more muted and not quite as vibrant & monochromatic, though there are exceptions. Look at original pieces and adjust your blend of Rit colors to match. The longer you simmer, the darker the color. That said, you can overcook quills and they become brittle.

And now I know. Thank you.
By the way, Porkys are as common up here as squirrels are to most other folks. In the spring there are road kill every 3 miles. Plus unlimited hunting year round for them. I walk around them while hunting turkey and deer.
Bring a truck and take em home.

My plan was to eat the one I got but the freezer moved with one of the housemates. It was a fat one...

Harvesting the quills was fairly easy. Skin while attempting to prevent injury to yourself (pretty much impossible), tack the skin to a piece of plywood and allow the skin to go a little off (similar to slipping the hair when brain-tanning). Remove the long guard hairs (save for pendants, roach, other), pull quills by size and save in individual bags.

Travis B said:
We do not have porkys here in MO which makes it kind of hard to get them on the hoof.
These sites suggest you might have a few:
https://mdc.mo.gov/blogs/fresh-afield/farewell-feeding http://www.800critter.com/missouri_porcupine.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_porcupine

That said, I've only seen 2 alive and a few more road-killed over the last 25 years. They are somewhat nocturnal, making them difficult to locate. I understand they tend to hang out in trees, but can't confirm this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Up here they like to take advantage of ready made burrows- bulldozed brush piles, culvert pipes etc. Wait for them at dusk.
In the warm months they may just stay with the food....pine trees. Look for the poop on the ground and look up. Or bring a dog to locate the poop piles for you, but keep him back after the shot.
BTW, that quillwork is fantastic. Wish I had that kind of talent.

I can guarantee you we do not have porcupines near me. I run coonhounds year round and spend a lot of time in the woods. I've never came across one or know of anyone who has. If they are in Missouri I would love to know where that would be. We have just about every other critter here but porcupines.

Some time ago here in Pa they were protected. To get quills for a Boy Scout project I "attacked" one with a styrofoam cooler lid. I got him really riled up then patted him up with the lid. I got all the quills I wanted, he got away. :grin: BJH

That would be awesome!!! If you do get some and you would like to do that I would greatly appreciate it. My email address is [email protected] as I don't get on here very often and if you were to come across some that would be the best way to get ahold of me. Thanks!!!

Back