• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best handle material is Elk, Moose or Deer antler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bretwalda

40 Cal.
Reaction score
OK...is there a difference in the quality of antlers from elk, moose or deer when lloking to make a knife handle?

Thanks,

j-

I have found there is a lot of variation between the 3. It depends which part of the antler you are using too. The biggest difference is how thick the outside is vs how pithy and hollow the inner core is. Its best to look it over in person if you can so you get what you want.

I use alot of elk and moose..I`ve found moose to be very good for carving handles

Go to www.moscowhideandfur.com. They got the best assortment of antlers. Send em an email, tell em what your doing and how much material you want and they'll pick out the right piece for you. Got an elk beam with rosette a few years ago and finally used it all up.

You can usually get deer antlers cheap at a flea market or someone may have some in their garage they'll give ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
moose is the hardest, almost like ivory. I use it for overlay/inlay material in bow building.

The real best, overlooking natural variations from critter to critter, is Indian Sambar Elk, but it is getting expensive, and harder to find with good quality.

Back