• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Berks County Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ekettenburg Would you by chance have a reference to Tim Burton and his guns ? I have not found anything in my library, mostly Shumway and Kaufman's books;

Thanks
O.R.
I'm not sure if you're joking or if you realize that I was joking. Sorry! Tim Burton is a movie director who makes really weird films like Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas etc. Some of his animated trailers and posters - especially for Nightmare before Christmas- seem to involve lots of curly swirls etc. and that box with the sideplates for some reason reminded me very strongly of the posters for Nightmare Before Christmas - mostly the sideplates to the box.

The more I look at this, the more I am convinced it is not Henry Mauger but is someone just slightly later who was very familiar with Mauger's work and was probably either a former apprentice or someone who lived very close to Mauger.

I'm not sure if you're joking or if you realize that I was joking. Sorry! Tim Burton is a movie director who makes really weird films like Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas etc. Some of his animated trailers and posters - especially for Nightmare before Christmas- seem to involve lots of curly swirls etc. and that box with the sideplates for some reason reminded me very strongly of the posters for Nightmare Before Christmas - mostly the sideplates to the box.

The more I look at this, the more I am convinced it is not Henry Mauger but is someone just slightly later who was very familiar with Mauger's work and was probably either a former apprentice or someone who lived very close to Mauger.
That was tongue in cheek from me. Email is so blessed emotionless.
This rifle was found in North Central PA on the West Branch of the Susquehanna but that doesn't mean it originated from there, but its a good place to start. I'll keep digging. Half of my enjoyment with these old guns comes from the researching.

Thanks for your help,
O.R.

I have not conducted a huge amount of research in Berks Co but if anyone here has, it might be worthwhile to look into a man named Andrew "Keen" or "Kane" (I suspect it was originally Kein or something like that) who was in Douglass twp (home of Henry Mauger) in 1785 as a single man and also 1786 and 1787. I can't find him elsewhere or otherwise but I only did a very preliminary search. I don't even know if he was a gunsmith or what but just starting with Douglass twp in Berks, he was the only man there with "AK" initials ca. 1780s. He apparently served in the militia during the War but that's about all I can say. Since he was a single freeman in 1785 I suspect he was young enough to perhaps be working with Mauger, for Mauger or at least be very aware of Mauger in the event the guy was actually a gunstocker. Just throwing it out there - may be a dead end, may lead somewhere.

Back