• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bench rest sighting in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norseman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the best way bench resting a longrifle?
Should the sand bag in the front be closer to the muzzle, in the middle, or closer to the ramrod entry thimble. The reason why I am asking is the thought of muzzle jump on the affect of sighting in. I alway put a rolled up towel under the front sand bag to counter barrel bounce when firing. So is there is a best/correct position to put the sandbag in the front?

Just make sure your sand bag isn't toughing the barrel (or anything for that fact) and is somewhere on the wooden forend of the firearm.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

I believe the best place to rest the rifle is where you will be holding it when shooting freehand. I would also recommend you fire all shots with the ramrod in the thimbles as well. I've seen a lot of folks work on their sights and don't replace the ramrod. Then they can't figure out why they are just a bit out of the bullseye when they shoot with the ramrod in the thimbles. Also I'd do the final adjustments resting my arms/elbows on the bench while holding the rifle just I would if shooting offhand.

David Hoffman said:
Also I'd do the final adjustments resting my arms/elbows on the bench while holding the rifle just I would if shooting offhand.
Agree...and since I'm either sitting in a treestand or on the ground leaning against a tree when hunting, I do all my final sight in and 95% of my weekend practice from a small chair, elbow braced down on my chest/side...amazing how solid that position is...

Can I ask just one more stupid question? All my rifles are shooting about 8"-10" low. Assuming it is not something I am doing and it is a problem with the sights, how would I adjust the front sight to correct this problem? Up or down?

You move the Rear sight in the direction you want the ball to go and the front sight the opposite drection so if you are shooting low, Raise the Rear or Lower the Front.

Thanks! None of the rear sights on any of my guns are adjustable so I will be lowering the fronts.

Just be sure to file a LIttle at a time and check it. It ain't all that easy to put back once you take it off.

MikeFromOn,

I really didn't think my question was a stupid one, and I am sure that you weren't refering to me due to lost communication typing on the keyboard . Actually, considering muzzle flip, bounce in center fire rifles and especially high power revolvers in sighting in with a sandbag type bench rest, and since I am not used to doing the SAME with a barrel of 42 inches and a full length stock, I requested some tips on this.
According to historical references American Colonials fighting the British put moss (to eliviate bounce)under their barrels as they wiped the British out on the battlefield from extreme distances, as they shot from a prone position using a LOG, but their was no mention to where they placed their barrels. The front, the mid or close to the tang. From the replies, I recon that the best place to put the rest is to put the rest nearest to where you normally put your front hand. BUT... I just thought that to elevaite the fulcrum effect that maybe putting the barrel on the rest during sighting in towards the front would eliviate the bounce and upward motion due to more weight of the barrel in the front. I just want the most secure position to sight in, with the peculiararities of the LONG RIFLE! Any more suggestions?

I have found out that if you are checking the accuracy of the rifle lay the stock on the front sandbag where you would grab it. If you want to check it to find out where it will hit on the target hold it like you would in a hunting situation letting the hand you grab the the front of the stock with rest on the sandbags.I usually only shoot off the bench for sighting in, then it is strictly offhand shooting after that.I have not done much shooting off the bench since I quit benchrest shooting back in the mid 90s.

Some guns are designed to be shot with the muzzle resting on the forward bag. You see this sometimes with the heavy slug guns. With full stock rifles, I find I get better accuracy if I keep the forward sandbag back near the trigger guard, or simply use my hand to hold the stock, and brace the back of my hand on the sandbag. That eliminates most if not all of the possible change in impact I will experience shooting off-hand.

Actually, years ago, I had fits trying to sight in a .30-30 rifle, with a thin, round barrel that was very whippy. It would not shoot small even groups off a rest, until I removed the forestock, the magazine tube, and spring and follower, and the two rings that held the magazine and forestock to the barrel. I loaded the gun single shot, and with open sights, fired a nice 3 shot cloverleaf group at 50 yds from the bench. I decided there was nothing wrong with the factory ammo, or the barrel, except it was too thin, and was too easily moved around by the slightest pressures. I then went about removing all binding with each part I put back on the gun, one at a time, until I had the gun put back together and still shooting respectable groups, although to a much higher point of impact.

I have used this same rest technique to test all guns, modern and BP, since, and it seems to work very well. The octagon barrels on ML rifles are much stiffer, and less prone to move around . I found an octagon barreled Winchester Model 94, in .32 Win. Spl. with a take down action, and longer barrel than found on my carbine .30-30. It shoots like a fine rifle should. :grin:

Latest posts

Back