• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Been searching for days, can someone point me to

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're not able to move the plunger down, and have no urgent need for the rifle at the moment, it might be best to wait for T/C...odd that it won't tap down though...the plunger is just a little hollow cup about a 1/4" long...about half of the spring sits inside the cup of the plunger with the other half extending up inside that little block.

She lives!! I took necchi's advice and tugged on it with a pair of needle nose and it still wouldn't come out all the way, but enough that I could put the butt end of a pair of tweezers on it and force it back in and out several times and eventually it came loose. Cleaned it up good and all is right with the world. Now the only thing left is to make smoke. Unfortunately I don't live in a place where I can step out my door and do that.

Thanks again to everyone for the help. I see another gun addiction coming on.

Good deal...
When you had said it's "stuck in the up position", I assumed you meant it was stuck up in the block and you couldn't reach it...glad you got it going.

Still some tweaking to be done. Half-cock is less than a 1/4 inch and I'm guessing that's not right. Not enough room for the capper.

Ahhh...I love a challenge.

No adjustment there, that's just how they are.

I just got in the habit many years ago to always cap with the hammer in the fullcock postion. Then I carefully let the hammer down and give a slight (very slight) push on the hammer to make sure the cap is fully seated on the nipple. There's nothing wrong with capping when the hammer is in fullcock. You need to treat that gun as if it can go off at any time anyway, halfcock, fullcock, or empty.

I suggest you get in the habit of capping in fullcock, and then letting the hammer down slowly, or capping just before you aim to fire. It will keep you on your toes, which is a good thing. Bill

Vidego said:
Hmmmm...adjustability? Reckon that's worth looking into.
Its positioning is a result of the overall geometry of the lock design...hammer position / angle on the tumbler haft, half cock notch location on the tumbler itself, etc.
Personal opinion is it would be risky and probably problematic to start tinkering modifying the design elements of the lock...particularly when capping at full cock, then letting the hammer all the way down and coming back to half cock is so easy.
But that's just me.

Back