• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bear hunten?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

45 Cal.
Reaction score
wondering ifn any one else is going bear hunten? (for the cridder! not the other!!!) :rotf: sorry counln't resist. well any way here in wa. it opens on the 1st of agust. hope I can get out some don't know yet waiting to see what the doc says on my neck. may have to go under the knife... so will see. finding here most sighn is realy high up. they haven't moved around to much yet.

Same around here just south of you. Seen some sign ,but not to many bear. The ones I did see were a good size. The deer crop looks real good.

I will be going again this year. I shot a average boar black bear last year in west virgina. sadly it was with a modern gun. I dont know if I will be able to get a bear with the muzzleloader or not. The horrible weather conditions worry me about the chances the gun wont go off. If i am forced to use a modern gun I am hoping to do the job with a pistol this year. Either way it will definetly be a very exciting and fun hunt. cheers SS.

Mr. rawhide,
We have been out several times this Spring for Grizz and Black Bear. Saw some sign but not like in years past.
Black Bear is open season all year, allowed three. Grizz opens back up 10th August.
I hope to head back out middle of next week.
Best Wishes

How hard is it to get a permit in West Virginia? My dad and I were planning on bear hunting or wild boar hunting for my senior year(next year). How many bear do they have over there?

" The horrible weather conditions worry me about the chances the gun wont go off.'

ML's can be made to fire pretty reliably in wet weather, there are several post on the forum about different methods of keeping them dry, the first shot has to count but that is ptretty much the case in good weather as well, I have hunted in Oct-Dec in the Costal temperate rain forest of NW Oregon for several decades and very seldom have I not hunted due to weather and then it is the 90 MPH winds that keep me out of the woods not the sideways rain, I would not give up on ML's due to weather untill you get aquainted with some of the ways to hunt in unfavorable conditions.

I hunted Mt. Baker area. Way too much food as in berries. I've done better in Ft. St. James, Canada spring bear hunting. Eastern, Wa. Is pretty good if you can get permission to hunt the apple orchards. Unfortunately those hunts are usually for long range shooting.

The DEC gave us black bear for the first time in living memory in my region of NY. Have seen them (small) and I'm undecided what to do if I stumble into one. First and last bear steak I had was like chewing a sponge soaked in beef bullion, but then a lot depends upon the chef . . . and his relative soberness. :haha:

We're "eat up" with them here in The Old Dominion and it's possible to be out after deer and come home with a bear....or the other way around. I'm game!

Rawhide:
We start in Maine the 29th of this month, Shine and I will be puttin the "Rocks" to em.
Luie B come on up to maine, we got lots of bear.Good hunting to all.
Nit Wit

going to Eastern NC for a hunt with hounds in Dec. taking the 66 flintlock fowler "loaded for bear" hopefully be some pics to post on here soon after that hunt.

Luie B there were estimated to be 500 bears in WV back in 1970 and couple of years ago it was 10,000. You can buy tags over the counter or on line and can take as many as 2 but one has to be from certain countys. Check on line the WVDNR regs. Dan.

Im heading to my buddy Nit Wits camp with 4 other guys on sunday for a week. We do it every year its a great time.
002-21.jpg

Latest posts

Back