• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BC Plum Brown browning tip

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc45-70

45 Cal.
Reaction score
It seems to me that people have trouble browning a barrel with Birchwood Casey Plum Brown.

IMHO one of the secrets to a nice finish with BCPB is to heat the entire barrel to the proper temp.

To heat the barrel I built a hot box.

I picked up some galvanized sheet metal at the local recycling center for 10 cents a pound.
I built a box 46 inches long 4 inches wide and 8 inched deep.
I put a shelf drilled full of holes 4 inches down from the top of the box. On the shelf I use short pieces of steel electrical conduit to rest the barrel on.

DSC00883_zpsd912d9f6.jpg

I found 4 500 watt halogen lights at a garage sale. I mounted the reflectors and bulb sockets to the bottom of the shelf with wire.

DSC00885_zps6976def9.jpg

DSC00884_zps82781dc8.jpg

I wired the lights to a light switch.

I built a lid for the box and put an oven thermometer in the center of the lid.

DSC00881_zps50ebf8b6.jpg

I pit 2 layers of 1/2 inch sheet rock on the sides and top of the box leaving the bottom open.
I then covered the sheet rock with aluminum tape to hold it in place. If you use the box on plastic saw horses put some sheet rock between the box and the horse or it may melt the top.

DSC00882_zpsb70a8cd0.jpg

To use, clean and degrease your barrel while wearing rubber gloves. When the barrel is clean and degreased pick it up with a clean cloth and place it in the hot box. Put the lid on the box turn on the switch and wait for the it to get to the proper temp. (in mine it's 275 degrees).

When the part is to temp, remove it with a clean cloth and apply the BCPB with a small piece of sponge being careful not to let it run. Do one entire flat then rotate the barrel and do the next.

With a little practice you should be able to do a coat on the entire barrel before it cools. Now wash and descale and repeat the process until you get the color you want.

Remember to keep your gloves clean. I wash them in soapy water and dry them between every coat. Make sure your cloth is clean also.

Only use hot brown in a well ventilated area and I recommend wearing an organic vapor respirator.

I've used this method for years to brown and rust blue parts with good results.

Hope this helps!

SC45-70

M.D. said:
Does contact with the conduit leave any spots on the finish that need blended out? MD
Not that I've noticed. I always rest the bottom barrel flat on two pieces that have been cleaned and degreased when heating, that way if it did leave a spot it wouldn't show anyway. But I have never noticed spots or discoloration.

SC45-70

You got a winner there! Grease/oil and uneven heat is the two biggest problems with BC Plum Brown. I know because I battled both the first time I tried it!

I cleaned the barrel from the factory or at least I thought I did. I had ran a solvent covered patch down it and wiped afterward.
None of which cut the factory type grease in the rifling and the heat will pull it thru the metal believe me!
However brake cleaner did the trick and then a good cleaning inside and out with alcohol.

It was in the winter and trying to heat the barrel in a cold garage was not working too well. I solved the heat issue with a high powered heat gun once the weather had warmed slightly! But that required a helper to keep up the heat!

However I like your idea!

Back