• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bass Pro Shop has Black (Gold) Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdixon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Had some time to kill in Cinncinati yesterday, so along with my son we went the the Bass Pro Shop outlet there and wandered around. Went to the hunting & firearms section and asked if they sell black powder. After first being directed to the Pyrodex, the clerk figured out I was talking about real black powder. "Yes, we have some 2F and 3F in back right now." :shocked2: This is the first over the counter retailer I have found selling black powder in this area of the country in over a year, great I thought. "How much is it.", I asked. "$19.99 a can." :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: This was for regular Goex mind you. The clerk didn't smile, laugh, try to kiss me or stick a gun in my face when he attempted this robbery of asking twenty bucks for a pound of regular Goex. Maybe this guy was trained by the people at Cabela's who think their sawn agates are worth $8.00 USD !!! Needless to say they didn't sell any black powder to me yesterday.

In most ares of the U.S. it seems to me that the handful of warehouse retailers like Graf, Powder Inc. and others, who offer black powder to the market at decent prices, are the thin life line keeping our sport alive.

Considering the BATFE hassles a retailer has to go through to store it, AND the hazmat passthrough, AND the markup needed to make a profit (BP is just not "interesting" enough to be a good "loss-leader"), AND that the subs cost the same or more, I think $20 retail is just aout right.

Ya want cheap, or ya want convenient? Can't have both.

I just ordered a 25lb case of fff Goex...works out to a hair less than $10 a lb delivered..Hank

I paid $20 dollars two months ago for Goex. The can I just used up was marked $15 dollars and had been purchased sometime prior to 1999 at the same store.

I was happy to be able to buy a can retail w/o having to search all over the state.

To add to the difficulties of dealing with this stuff you have to add over zealous fire marshalls to the list why it is hard to find and has a price on it.

Does anyone know how the recent explosion at Goex is affecting bulk sale prices?

Clutch

I have to travel 135 miles each way to get powder.

Thats about 16 gallons of fuel @ $3 = $48.00

Never felt comfortable with 25lb of BP in the house.

Be grateful you have a retailer who will go thru
the BS it takes to stock the stuff.

I think one of the LARGE problems with our sport
is the lack of retail outlets for supplies.

Support ANY local supplier and you will be helping
everyone out.

I would think that sales volume also effects price.

If this supplier starts selling a bunch,then other suppliers will start selling it also and the price will go down.

If your local retailer only sells a few cans a week , he is offering it as a convience to YOU.

- support him.

Just my 2 cents

I can get it for $12.95/can here in Middle Tennessee at a little saddle shop in the middle of nowhere.

HistoryBuff

I just bought 3 lbs of KIK powder at The Great Outdoors in Cherryville, NC. The cost was $12.00/LB.
I have to finish testing to see if I like it.

HistoryBuff said:
I can get it for $12.95/can here in Middle Tennessee at a little saddle shop in the middle of nowhere.

HistoryBuff

History Buff,
Where in Middle TN? My folks live in Nashville and have a place over in Centerville where they shoot. I'd love to find a cheaper place.

That $20 a pound is easily 60% more than the last can that I saw for sale in these parts from a retailer, well over a year ago. I had no idea that others were regularly paying this much in other areas of the U.S. All things being equal, if this same retailer were to carry Swiss, they would be charging around $37.00 a pound for it. :shake: Regardless, in my neck of the woods no one is selling the stuff anymore anyway. Therefore, it will continue to be the 25-pound lots through UPS and FedEx for me, for as long as I can get the stuff anyway.

There is NO place around me that sells black powder.
Last year I asked my wife to pick me up a can of FFF in Reno, NV. It was something like $21.95 before tax! :shocked2: After that I buy at rendezvous for around $15 or from some friends who buy in bulk for $12 depending when I need it.

I recently bought four cans of 3F Goex at our local sporting goods stoire in Venice, FL. Reason? They were giving up carrying BP because of BATF hassles on the storage chests, etc. Not worth the trouble. I paid Twenty dollars a can. I guess next time (which will be a LONG while at my current consumption) I will do mail order. Good smoke, Ron in FL

HistoryBuff said:

HistoryBuff
Right there, in bold, is why. Cincinati too citified. It has Fire marshal issues. It has local BATFE issues (there are agents in town with nothing better to do). It is at a big retailer with Insurance Issues.

These are all things a little shop in BFE can largely avoid or mitigate.

Stars&Bars said:
I just bought 3 lbs of KIK powder at The Great Outdoors in Cherryville, NC. The cost was $12.00/LB.
I have to finish testing to see if I like it.
Kik is a good powder. A bit on the "dusty" side, I put it grade wise above Goex Red but below Swiss or Schutzen/Graf. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Back