• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Basic Q & A........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know. As I said, the rifle is capable of much better than I can do, I discovered this a couple of years ago when I acquired Dutch's system and started really working up loads.

I'm just not that good a shot any more even on a bench rest. I have days, Like the last trip, when I'm pulling 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 50 yards, but most days I'm lucky to keep it under 4 inches.

I know its me, Each time I fire I can usually pick up on some part of my technique I slipped on, either flinching or just not following through properly.

I wonder why I'm having the crud ring issue? and the nipple build up. Could be my lube I suppose, but to change that at this juncture would mean a complete restart on the load work up and as much fun as it is was most of the time when I did it last, I just don't have the patience to go through that again right now.

I'm a lot older, than you, but the more I shoot, the better I do. I don't hesitate, to change out the sights. I think that is why some days are better than others. If the lighting is off, so will be the shooting. Target size and color can make a big difference. Before being to down on the load or the gun and even yourself. Experiment with other aspects including paying close attention to the wind. Crosswind and variable wind, plays havoc on round ball loads. Also find out which is a better sight picture, square, round, or holding in center or six o'clock hold.

I also shoot a 22 or other small caliber, even black powder rifles, to see how my open sight shooting really is and to see if recoil is part of the problem.

I'm retired and belong to a club, so I have a lot of time, to experiment with these ideas. But the point is, I think I can actually shoot better now, than I could, when I was younger.

A peep sight, will help tighten groups up, as well.

In the end, there are realistic limits. I have the chance to see a lot of shooting and some days are better than others. Some people use one good group, to explain how good they are, when the truth is, even a blind hog finds an acorn, now and then. I save my best targets and throw away the bad ones. My man cave, has the best groups on display. Even believe it myself, sometimes. :idunno:

Adui,
Crud rings, if you mean that rock hard ring that forms about where the ball rests when loaded way down in the breech, are usually caused on days of low humidity.

We seldom have those dry days up in Missouri, but when we do I would eliminate them by placing about half a Schoultz weight on the ram rod till I found myself standing on tip toe and they would break free.
As a matter of fact I found myself putting that weight on every load as a habit and every once in a while there would be a sort of Bang and the rod would drop another couple of inches..
I believe you live in the Southwest where humidity appears only in dictionaries.

Dutch

Briefly (FormaChange)

I will agree that a Peep sight will greatly improve your groups.
When my vision began to fade I added the Lyman Rear Aperture sight to both of my rifles and that tightened things up remarkably.
As long as your eye is looking through that aperture it will be automatically centered and all you have to do is look at the front sight and the target..

Dutch

On the topic of sights......I have been using a Marble sight that is about a 3/4 peep with the top cut out. Still gives the nice round centering of a peep but lets in light like a buckhorn sight. I just picked up a globe front sight and am excited to try the open aperture for target work. Now I just need the weather to cooperate....

Its a phenomena experienced east of New Mexico where in the summer one can shower, dress lightly, walk slowly into the back yard with nothing other than an ice tea in hand, sit under a shade tree and SWEAT real bad (even with a slight breeze). It's not for us, our shade works :rotf:

Windex should be renamed 'Wonder-x'. It sure makes short work of cleaning out my old Musketoon. Trouble is, we live in UK, where there is none on sale. Luckily, one of our friends is a retired USAF vehicle mechanic, and still has purchasing 'rights' in the local PX where we do not.

As a result we always have a couple of spray bottles handy. I take one to the range when shooting any kind of BP gun, and with a ready source of hot and cold water, do the biz right there.

tac

Hi Dutch;

I just ordered your system and look forward to learning more than I know about black powder shooting, which has been a blast with black powder the last 40-years. Glad I heard of your system as I'm always willing to learn more than I know and the wonders of sites like this help me to become exposed to more information and increase my knowledge :)

tac said:
Windex should be renamed 'Wonder-x'. It sure makes short work of cleaning out my old Musketoon. Trouble is, we live in UK, where there is none on sale. Luckily, one of our friends is a retired USAF vehicle mechanic, and still has purchasing 'rights' in the local PX where we do not.

As a result we always have a couple of spray bottles handy. I take one to the range when shooting any kind of BP gun, and with a ready source of hot and cold water, do the biz right there.

tac

If you can't get any Windex, make your own glass cleaner. The recipe can be found on the web.

In a 32 ounce spray bottle
24 ounces of water
7 ounces of 70% rubbing alcohol
1 ounce of unscented ammonia
1 tablespoon of grease cutting dish detergent

Mix and use.

I recommend adding a few drops of food coloring so you tell it apart from water.

Cleans glass as well as your muzzleloader.

Gene, I would think that windshield washer fluid would be equivalent to windex.

I have used it when shooting outside in winter in Alaska, mixed with equal parts of Hoppes #9.

Washer fluid by itself should be just fine and it won't freeze.

Personally I follow window washer cleaning with a hot water rinse in a pail, followed by dry patch wiping, letting the barrel cool down to room temperature and then I coat the barrel inside & out with gun oil or WD-40. I've done this 40 years with no rusting or pitting. Sometimes I use gun wipes inside & out but like oil best because I think an oil coating should last longer.

Be interesting to hear what others think. :)

Back