• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel wall thickness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdgreat1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Started a project. I'm turning down an old 43 Egyptian rolling block barrel down to .750 diameter to fit a cva squirrel rifle stock. Started to wonder what is to small for a barrel thickness. This is a .439 bore so about .155 wall thickness. Good idea or a bomb ready to explode?

Not a machinist, don't build barrels etc

BUT - given that none of the current prolific barrel makers will produce a 3/4" (.750) barrel in greater than 40 cal you might be going a little "thin".

13/16" (.8125) is about as small as they will go in a 44/45 cal unless it's a swamped barrel.

But even in that case, the breech area, which is most critical, would be significantly greater in diameter than .750".

You may want to call one of the barrel makers (Rice or Colerain) and ask them - I'm sure one of them would give you an answer as to why/why not it's a good idea and why they "don't" offer anything larger than .40 in a 3/4" barrel.

Don't know about barrel thickness but am curious are you going to shoot conicals in it or is the twist appropriate for RB?

Not sure what to shoot. Standard load was a 370 grain bullet. Probably too fast of a twist for ball.

Though I'm starting to think this is not a good idea.

jimdgreat1 said:
Not sure what to shoot. Standard load was a 370 grain bullet. Probably too fast of a twist for ball.

Though I'm starting to think this is not a good idea.

I think your right, the barrel, IMHO would be to thin to shoot conicals with their higher breech pressures. I would pass on the project myself.

Go buy a barrel that is appropriate for what you are trying to make. No telling what that barrel is made of, for all you know MASS kept it together & you are considering removing the mass & taking a chance. :shake:

YOU, are not the only one a Risk when that rifle is fired....

Keith Lisle

:surrender:
:td:
Unknown steel....micro pitting....200.00 for a new barrel is cheaper then the local E.R. Rates......... :wink:

"for all you know MASS kept it together & you are considering removing the mass "

what Birdog said x2

If the barrel is not yet altered the 43 mauser/egyptian/11mm swedish are fantastic cartridges. Given the choice I would rather own 20 pieces of bertram brass and a mold then a RB shooter.
I owned and miss dearly a 43 mauser carbine. Drove tacks and stopped moose right where they stood.
Played with paper patching but in the end it was not needed. Slightly smaller bore then yours but close.

Your Egyptian would be easier to work with as it has a .454 bore (?) You can also reform 348 win brass for it. Cartridges of the world says 70 grains of FG with a 370 grain bullet.

Great barrel to own. They'd be lots more popular if they had arrived as surplus in the states earlier or if the 45-70 was not so widespread.

If in exc condition I would not worry in the least about shooting it in it's original proofed
condition. The remington rolling block that it was attached to is another storey :wink:

Thanks everyone. This barrel is a take off with a bad chamber. Its been laying around here for years. I've got it cut to 26 inches and turned down. Might use this as a liner someday. Or at least it was practice material for making a liner. It's decent metal, from 1870 or so. :doh:

Back