• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First of all ID, then what would you suggest building with it? What lock would be suitable with this patent breech?
Here is all I can determine about it. .45 cal, muzzle to breechplug, about 33”, no front dovetail, one lug on bottom flat, I’m sure it has never been fired, 6x1mm nipple breech bore, .886 flat to flat, only thing on barrel is SPAIN. Maybe a kit barrel? IMG_0348.jpegIMG_0347.jpegIMG_0346.jpeg

The first question is what shape is the bore in? If that's no good then what you have is what we call a tomato stake. If the bore is good any style half stock would be a good fit with a patent breach. Personally, I would use a back action lock but that's just my preference.

No borescope and with the patent breech can’t get much light in it but just inside the muzzle looks unfired. The threads and the bottom of the nipple hole are bare metal with no rust. Outside of barrel has rust like any barrel that has been in a damp place with no protection.

It sounds good so far, Definitely worth at least running a tight patch down the barrel to see if it feels smooth. If it does, send it to me. It's what I'm looking for to build a light weight hunting rifle. Or, you can look forward to spending some enjoyable time pondering what to build around it.

Eric borescoped the barrel for me today and it appears to be unused with some surface rust. It just needs a good cleanup with scotchbrite. I haven’t checked yet nut it appears to be a pretty fast twist.
Deerstalkert that is really nice but I don’t have to worry about my sweetheart. I have never known her to fire a weapon of any kind. Not that she is anti it’s just not her thang.
Rchas, is that the one referred to as a drip rail lock?

Eric borescoped the barrel for me today and it appears to be unused with some surface rust. It just needs a good cleanup with scotchbrite. I haven’t checked yet nut it appears to be a pretty fast twist.
Deerstalkert that is really nice but I don’t have to worry about my sweetheart. I have never known her to fire a weapon of any kind. Not that she is anti it’s just not her thang.
Rchas, is that the one referred to as a drip rail lock?
I think you're correct, although I have only heard them referred to as shotgun locks.

I suggest you look at patterning a rifle after guns by H. E. Dimick. Your barrel would fit right in. As far as locks, Dimick seems to have used anything he could get his hands on. Google "Dimick rifle images".

Back