• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Number19

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to try Ballistol as patch lube, soaking my patching in 100% Ballistol and then drying. My question is, if I then put my dried patching in a zip lock baggy, how long will it stay "good".

I've read here on the forum that some use this preparation, rather than using a Ballistol mix as a wet lube, so I'm also asking for comments on the effectiveness of Ballistol as a dry lubing.

Can't say about Ballistol personally but am told it is nothing more than refined mineral oil which I think is still petroleum based and tends to make tar when mixed with BP fouling.
I have been using cold weather windshield wash.It has water, alcohol and a soapy like ingredient which both will dissolve BP fouling and lube the patch. Just wet them in a plastic jar and squeeze the patch out with your fingers just before seating the ball.
Get the non poisonous kind if possible but the other works fine as well just don't eat or smoke after using it before washing your hands which you will want to anyway after handling lead.MD

I should explain that a bit farther for a more complete answer. What happens is the petroleum left in a bore , unless thoroughly cleaned out before firing mixes with the burning powder and leaves tar residue in the fouling. As firing continues the tar is burned onto the barrel wall and forms carbon very similar to what you find in the bottom of a skillet when the heat is to high while cooking. We all know what a bear that is to scrub off.Carbon fouling is one of the toughest to get off a barrel wall because not much reacts to dissolve it very efficiently . I'm told the brake cleaners work fairly well if not baked on to hard but they evaporate so quickly that the carbon does not get soaked by it for any length of time. MD

I'm happy to report that Balistol does not leave deposits as you report MD.
I've used it cut with water both with wet patches and on soaked and dried patches.
I have also used it neat cleaning between shots when using pp bullets at long range. Its an excellent product.

That's good news from someone who has used it for this purpose and can testify to it's effectiveness when used to clean with. I was reporting what we found in lube mixes for black powder cartridge shooting and reasoned that if it was petroleum base it could have the same effect if left in the bore while shooting.
That being petroleum additives in lube mixes acted just as I said when burned and mixed with the fouling of BP.My guess would be that in the lube mixes the percentages were much higher than would be present when used as a bore preservative and cleaner which is often wiped out before shooting.
It was found that the soap base lubes and waxes that were water soluble worked the best for hot weather fouling problems.
Rendered bear oil, bees wax, lanolin and sperm oil were all non petroleum prized lube and bore preservative ingredients in early times and still are today. MD

Very doubtful it's petroleum based if it will mix with water. I've read on the can it can be used full strength to clean dust/dirt off of house plant leaves.

Tom

I use it as a part of my patch lube for all my guns. I have taken 100+ shots in a day, went home soap and water flush and pump. Then some bore shine. Then finish with some sea foam deep creep. Barrel looks new every time. Read dutch's book, he'll tell you all about it.

Ballistol seems to be one of those things that people either like or hate or have never used and hate it anyway.

I tried it recently for patch lube by soaking patches in different mixes of Ballistol and water and letting them dry overnight before using. It worked well for me with straight Ballistol working the best in that particular rifle. I don't know how long they'll "keep" since I haven't been using it that long and I have just been making enough in advance for a couple of range trips.

It leaves no petroleum type residue and seems to make cleanup a lot easier.

I've gotten in the habit of keeping a small bottle of Ballistol and water mix in my range box to swab the barrel with before heading home and after doing that final cleanup is very quick.

Ballistol seems to be one of those things that people either like or hate or have never used and hate it anyway.
Can we add it to the list of: WD-40; Wal-Mart; eBay; Pay Pal; etc.? :wink:
It is a made with a base of some kind of mineral oil which is petroleum.
I don't understand how it would mix with water but have never tried it.
As for using as a patch lube. The only way I can buy it is in a 6 oz. can for about $13.00. Pretty expensive to use for patches. I do use for cleaning and lubing. But the traditional lubes are what I prefer.

I'm good for about 100-200 shots a month with my muzzleloaders. I think I have used 1/3 of a can in the past 3 months. For me, it's very cheap and saves me money. You only need a very small amount. I use a shot glass.

Ballistol is basically a mineral oil base with some long chain alcohols added. It will not evaporate or dry readily so soaking a piece of patch material in Ballistol and then trying to dry it is like putting oil on a rag and expecting it to dry. The drying process that you ate talking about is for folks who dilute their Ballistol in water, wet their patches and then dry out all of the water. Many like to do it that way but I use straight Ballistol on my patches. I pre-cut them and put them into a large pill bottle from the pharmacy. I add a bit of Ballistol to the patches and turn them a bit to get all of them wet. Then I let them sit in the closed bottle for several days to allow them to be come evenly moistened by the Ballistol. Lastly, I remove all of them from the bottle, carefully stack them and use my finger pressure to squeeze any excess Ballistol out of them back into the bottle. Any Ballistol in the patch bottle will be poured back into the original Ballistol bottle for future use. I return the patches to the medicine bottle and they are ready for use. If you use all of your finger pressure to squeeze the patches, they will then have just the amount of Ballistol left on them that you need. At least, that is the amount of Ballistol that I have found to work best for me and keep the fouling to a minimum.

As a dry lube, one of the leading experts on muzzleloading accuracy, Dutch Schultz, swears by it. I am less fond of dry lubes but that is just me.

Ballistol has a base of mineral oil but it also has some long chain alcohols in it. They account for a good bit, if not all, of the odor. The alcohols are what make the Ballistol mix with water. Just FYI.

Rifleman1776 said:
...The only way I can buy it is in a 6 oz. can for about $13.00...
I think you may be remembering wrong, or you're getting ripped off. TOW has the 16 oz cans for $12.99. The 6 oz is $6.99. Better, but still expensive.

SmokeEater2 said:
.. I don't know how long they'll "keep" since I haven't been using it that long and I have just been making enough in advance for a couple of range trips...
"a couple of range trips" - unless you're retired, this likely means at least two weekends. This is the time frame I was looking for - is it OK to make up enough for a two or three weeks . I'm not looking for long term storage. Thanks.

Number19 said:
SmokeEater2 said:
.. I don't know how long they'll "keep" since I haven't been using it that long and I have just been making enough in advance for a couple of range trips...
"a couple of range trips" - unless you're retired, this likely means at least two weekends. This is the time frame I was looking for - is it OK to make up enough for a two or three weeks . I'm not looking for long term storage. Thanks.

Yeah, Mine have been good for a couple weeks in the Altoids tin I keep them in.

There is no need to use it full strength. In Moose Milk it is 1 to 20 and it is very slick. Try it you'll love it! It makes cleaning a snap and keeps the bore clean between shots. G. T.

Number19 said:
Rifleman1776 said:
...The only way I can buy it is in a 6 oz. can for about $13.00...
I think you may be remembering wrong, or you're getting ripped off. TOW has the 16 oz cans for $12.99. The 6 oz is $6.99. Better, but still expensive.

I'm pretty frugal, I'm not remembering wrong. That's what it costs at the only gun shop in town that carries it. Color me ripped. :cursing:

I've never bought it here in town and honestly didn't know anyone carried it locally.

I've ordered the 16 oz. non aerosol can from TOW and at MidwayUSA for $10.99.
Ballistol

Back