• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistics of ML hunting rifle!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

In the latest issue of the german gun magazine "Visier" there was a ballistic test of a .54 custom Haken, made by german builder Helmut Mohr. They were shooting at 50 meters with a 230 grs .535 PRB and 150 grs bp at a ballistic soap block. The result was outstanding. The .535 RB penetrated the block 26cm deep (whole block was 44 cm thick). The maximum energy given to the block was after 5cm. The RB flatened from .535 to .950 and got stuck in the soap block.

I think a outstanding result even when the charge was a bit high.
Furthermore I have to critisize that they wrote .54 is the minimum for clean kill hunting and that a .45 RB would be to small even for roedeer. And and least they wrote you could not go out with cheap italo replicas. Is a GPR or a trade rifle a cheap italo replica, or is even a Pedesoli Hawken a cheap replica. I think the times of cheap rubish replicas are over. :shake:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister said:
"...ballistic test..."
Shooting at 50 meters with a 230 grs .535 PRB and 150 grs bp at a ballistic soap block.
The .535 RB penetrated the block 26cm deep (whole block was 44 cm thick).
The maximum energy given to the block was after 5cm.
The RB flatened from .535 to .950 and got stuck in the soap block.
I think a outstanding result even when the charge was a bit high.

Thanks for sharing...yes, 150grns seems a little more than normal if I was using Goex for example...did the article mention the actual brand of powder and the granulation used?

It is not uncommon for the powers to be to set game regulations for ML seasons that are often just short of ridiculus. I have always thought it to be a very serious lack of knowlegde about ML's and their capabilities and trying to use modern centerfire ballistic theory as a guideline, and possible lobbying/influence from manufactures of modern accesories for ML's (read modern bullets/sights)

Interesting results as well as some insight into the way things are viewed in your country. Would be fun to see the look on their faces if the .54 was shot into the block with 60 or 70 grains of powder. I'm wagering it would penetrate even further!

Interesting that the recovered ball was .950. The only 54 cal ball I ever recovered was almost exactly the same size. But in my case it was launched by 90 grains of 3f and impacted at 55 yards on the white throat patch of the deer. It stopped against the hide on the back of the neck after shattering its way through the neck vertebrae.

Yeow! 150 grains is stout. I shoot 85 gr of FFg in my .54 and it passes through 200 pound whitetails on a broadside.

I think the .54 is ideal for whitetail, but I think my .50 is pretty good, also, and doesn't give up much. I just like the added mass of the .54 in case something goes amiss. The state of New York considers a .44 as the minimum allowable bore size for deer hunting.

@ roundball:

Nothing was mentioned about the brand of bp and granulation.

You are all right. The stout charge is a kind of german energy fanatism we have here. Many hunters and the gouvernment thinks many energy helps many. I guess like others that a RB with a lower charge, like 90 grs, would habe passed through the block. That is necessary in praxis to get a nice bloodtrail.
Also the .45 PRb would do its job fine when you take care about the range limits.

Regards

Kirrmeister

It is stupid comments from "experts" that got them disallowed in Britain.

EXPERT= Ex=hasbeen, PERT= errect nipple :idunno:

Keep your powder dry Kirmiester :thumbsup:

Brits.

Back