• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

baker's rifle frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CS

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello! I recently picked up this hobby of muzzleloaders (though I have been interested in military history for a long time). I bought my first replica a few weeks ago, a (smoothbore version) of a Baker's rifle.

I have posted some pictures here showing the state of its frizzen. I want to seek some advice about its proper care and how to diagnose when things go wrong.

I was told by a wonderful expert who owns a store and specializes in muzzleloaders that too big of a flint can cause of frizzen case hardening wearing out too soon. That acts like a chisel and chops through the case hardening. Once the case hardened layer has been pierced, it wears out in short order. He said that the face of my frizzen is getting a little torn up where the flint first strikes it so the damage is starting.

I regret missing my chance to ask him further for his insight. I had thought that my frizzen looked healthy. Based on the pictures I have posted, does anyone know the signs I should look for, of the "case hardened layer being pierced" vs just ordinary wear and tear?

Many thanks in advance, and nice to meet you all!

Attachments

• IMG_9511.jpg
    IMG_9511.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9513.jpg
    IMG_9513.jpg
    794.5 KB · Views: 0
So what you have there is an India made copy of the Baker, and as this is in the Smoothbore section, I take it that it still has it's repro smooth bore barrel, and not the upgraded rifle barrel from Colerain?

Technically, a frizzen should be hardened all the way through, not surface or "case" hardened. The first indication on an India made frizzen of there being trouble with the hardness is a lack of sparks. Sometimes the frizzen can get chewed up a bit because the edge of the flint is hitting at too close to a 90 degree angle, and sometimes you also get a little "rebound". Rebound is where the flint hits the frizzen and the frizzen starts to move, BUT..., it moves a little too much and contact with the edge of the flint is lost for a split second. THEN contact is regained which acts like a second impact. Often this is too fast for the eye to catch, and folks don't know it's happening. I also noticed that your flint is wrapped in leather. You need to cut and removed a wedge in the back of the leather so the bare back of the flint rests on the jaw screw.

India made frizzens can always benefit from being hardened by the end user. You will also want to check the angle of the flint edge, and adjust the leather wrap as well. The cam on the bottom of the frizzen where it rides on the frizzen spring may also be too long, or too rough and need a good polishing.

LD

The frizzen face looks fine to me, but the real question is how is it sparking?
If it gets to (or is) at the point where it wont spark, then you need to consider options, of which there are a few outlined in this forum under several threads (search 'frizzens' and 'sparking', etc.).
If it's working as it should, I wouldn't worry about an issue that doesn't exist; but know there are solutions available for when it wont.

Everything LD said above and Pathfinder posted while I was typing

The frizzen looks almost new, if it is sparking well quit worrying about it and start shooting, if not then read LD's post again.

Thanks friends! And special thanks to LD for the information!
Indeed it is an indian made musket. A (relatively inexpensive) way to dip my toes into this hobby before venturing on. But yes, she sparks fine; my question was more about proper care to keep her that way.
I will quit worrying and fire away!

Back