• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you have figured out how to do what you want. I just don't see an English trade gun from that rifle. The stock just isn't wide enough.

In a couple weeks I’ll be ordering my flinter kit, and today I took a good hard look at it. The silhouette is reasonably close to an English Trade Gun, which is what I’m currently into. With a little work (ok, moderate work) I can get it close enough to make me happy.
But in typical fashion I figured why not plan some embellishments?
So I have a notion for a relief carved thistle on the stock, a simplified butt, and some simple inlay. Keep it all in brass and the joining plate suddenly seems intentional. Do a rediculous amount of arduous file work and maybe have the barrel transition to round after a wedding band.

Aside from the obvious question of “what are you smoking and why aren’t you sharing” what do you guys think?
I'm afraid that no matter what you do it will never in any way resemble a trade gun. And what you plan on doing is an awful lot of work. All you'll wind up doing is proving the old adage about a silk purse and a sow's ear.

You can do anything you want; it is your gun but I doubt if it will come out like you hoped for, it will be a good learning experience on what to do and not to do.

I always think of the guy who proudly posted his first build which wasn't too bad a job on a Lancaster rifle, that is until he took a blow torch and made 2" wide barber pole stripes from the nose cap to the butt plate because he "liked" the look. It was indeed a sight to behold.

If it made him happy, why not?

First of all, I would like to commend you on your artistic skills. That's a nice sketch, and the thistle drawing looks great.

Second, it's your kit and you are certainly welcome to build it to suit yourself. However, if the stock is pre-inlet, and you take material off the barrel, it probably won't fit the stock very well any more.

Respectfully, I would add that I just don't see an English trade gun in that particular kit, even after extensive modification of lock, stock, and barrel. There are several trade gun kits on the market that will get you a lot closer to what you want with a lot less effort. The Pedersoli Trade Gun kit comes to mind as a readily-available and affordable kit. While it is not a perfect copy of any historical gun, it is pretty true to the type. Several forum members have described building Pedersoli Trade Gun kits with very good results, and owners of both the factory-finished and kit versions seem to enjoy shooting these guns.

I don't mean to discourage you, and I sometimes admire those who choose to march to their own drumbeat. However, if you ask for opinions on a forum like this, you will get them.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I think you do a lot better with buying an octagon to round barrel and building from a blank. Turning an octagon barrel into round with a lathe would be rather easy. Doing with a file is not likely to turn out so good.
He's talking about making only the top half of the front 2/3rds octagon round. That will be a night mare to pull off and look good and a mill or shaper would be required. I've turned half round barrels numerous times in my lathe which is not difficult.

Back